Self-charging arc lighter

xxxmaxi

Joined Apr 30, 2023
Although I'm not an expert in this field, I have an idea for a arc lighter that can be charged by simply walking with it in your pocket. With an hour of walking, it should be possible to generate enough power to light between 5 to 10 cigarettes. To enhance its functionality, I suggest integrating a solar cell which can charge the lighter when exposed to sunlight, so you can load it at balcony when you are home. Additionally, in case battery depletion, it would be possible to add a foldable crank to provide a manual backup power source.
What you think about my Idea?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Simply calculate the tiny amount of power shaking a piezo or electric generator in a pocket that charges a capacitor for many hours, then calculate the huge amount of power used by the electrical heater. Weeks or months of charging just to light one cigarette?
Edit: Can a high voltage arc light a cigarette? No, an arc is used to light a butane lighter.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Simply calculate the tiny amount of power shaking a piezo or electric generator in a pocket that charges a capacitor for many hours, then calculate the huge amount of power used by the electrical heater. Weeks or months of charging just to light one cigarette?
Edit: Can a high voltage arc light a cigarette? No, an arc is used to light a butane lighter.
There are many arc-based lighters available but I have no idea why the TS believes enough energy can be harvested in the way and in the time he is suggesting.

xxxmaxi

Joined Apr 30, 2023
There are many arc-based lighters available but I have no idea why the TS believes enough energy can be harvested in the way and in the time he is suggesting.
AMPY MOVE indicates that with 10,000 steps, which corresponds to 2-3 hours of walking, you can charge your phone battery for 3 hours of normal use. A phone requires 1-2W, a plasma arc lighter requires 4-20W, which gives about 5 minutes of fire per hour of walking. However, since it is in your pocket and more compact, it might only take 30 seconds, which is enough for 5 cigarettes.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
AMPY MOVE indicates that with 10,000 steps, which corresponds to 2-3 hours of walking, you can charge your phone battery for 3 hours of normal use. A phone requires 1-2W, a plasma arc lighter requires 4-20W, which gives about 5 minutes of fire per hour of walking. However, since it is in your pocket and more compact, it might only take 30 seconds, which is enough for 5 cigarettes.
The physics don’t work, and while I hadn’t heard of Ampy it didn’t take much research to find out that their Kickstarter product didn’t live up to the claims. It doesn’t work. There isn’t enough energy available to do what they claim or what you want.