Seems Easy

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Imagine being asked to design the net for this trick.:D
I bet he had to ask a lot of engineers before one consented to take the job.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Imagine being asked to design the net for this trick.:D
I bet he had to ask a lot of engineers before one consented to take the job.
One thing I noticed, is that he didn't hit the net exactly at its center... of course it might just be the camera angle.
I'm pretty sure they somehow tested the net many times over before performing the actual stunt ... but I wonder how they tested it.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My wife said that his wife should've slapped the guy as soon as he was off the net!
Maybe she was more upset that she wouldn't be collecting on an insurance policy.
Most insurance policies specifically exclude "parachuting" and "skydiving" but those are synonyms according to most dictionaries. I don't think my policy has an exclusion for "jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a plan to open a parachute".

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Maybe she was more upset that she wouldn't be collecting on an insurance policy.
Most insurance policies specifically exclude "parachuting" and "skydiving" but those are synonyms according to most dictionaries. I don't think my policy has an exclusion for "jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a plan to open a parachute".
Probably an insurance policy that included said clause would be more costly than your own life!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I thought I heard not long ago that they're looking at using improved nets for fire rescue from tall buildings. It's relatively quick to set one up and a lot safer (for the first responders) than trying to send a team of firefighters up smoky stairwells to extract citizens.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I thought I heard not long ago that they're looking at using improved nets for fire rescue from tall buildings. It's relatively quick to set one up and a lot safer (for the first responders) than trying to send a team of firefighters up smoky stairwells to extract citizens.
Yes, but breaking the glass in commercial, high-rise buildings and then getting people to jump are two big hurdles.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A net like that could have been handy about 15 years ago. Nothing sadder than seeing someone jumping out if the WTC.
I wonder if they would've have enough time to set it up... and then evacuate before the buildings fell ... I don't think it would've worked, of made too much difference.