Seeking weatherproof, in-use USB connector

Involute

Joined Mar 23, 2008
I'd like to put a backup HDD in a weatherproof case outside my house and run a long, active USB 3.0 cable to it from my PC. It would be nice to be able to disconnect the case from the cable, which would call for a weatherproof, USB 3.0 connector. These exist, but the only ones I've been able to find are essentially ports with caps to keep them dry when not in use. What I need is something that stays dry when something's plugged into it. Has anyone seen anything like this (maybe just sort of a shroud that goes over a standard male/female cable connection)? If not, maybe I'll design my own (and let me know if you want one). Thanks.

Involute

Joined Mar 23, 2008
Actually, while we're on the subject, I was wondering what would happen to the drive if, in the worst case scenario, my house burned down, melting the insulation on the USB cable, allowing the power and ground to short out (in the off chance the house's power hasn't been cut by then). Any idea if the drive would still be operational, data intact, after such a short?