Seeking industrial solenoid controller IC

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm hoping someone familiar with industrial controls can point me to an IC. I've been googling for hours and have come up with only a single possible solution, but it's overkill and I would like to avoid the complexity that goes with the overkill. ;) The requirements are half-bridge or synchronous rectification type topology, 24V DC source and 3.5A+ capacity (or drive external transistors), logic inputs for controlling the solenoid (logic 1 for on, logic 0 for off), current monitoring and SPI or I2C interface for reading diagnostic information. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

So far this is the closest match that I've found, but it's overkill and I'm not 100% sure that the ON duration is tied 100% to the STARTx pins (will the solenoid turn off when the corresponding STARTx pin goes low).

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That is a pretty sophisticated IC. What are you trying to do? Can it be done with manual switches and??? For small scale industrial uses the 1st thing that comes to mind is the small stand-alone Allen-Bradley SLC ladder logic controller but if for just a couple of solenoids??? So you want 120VAC w/ 24VDC relays and 5VDC logic inputs? 120VAC solenoids?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Remote Industrial control is generally done with a simple Modbus or even Canbus interface, via serial link of your choice.
A little more explanation of the anticipated system would help
Max.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thanks guys. I'm building a small module that will be part of a much larger system. I can't give too many particulars due to NDA, but there are 4 solenoids, 24V-DC (no need for the AC features of that chip). The only inputs are 4 logic level lines to trigger the solenoids. There is a small processor on this module that will poll the solenoid controllers for diagnostic info, such as current out of range (short or open circuit), and whether the solenoid actually moved. The processor will relay the diagnostic info back to the main controller via RS485. So essentially what I need is a solenoid controller that can be triggered via a logic level input, will monitor the solenoid current and somehow indicate an error condition, and can be polled via some sort of interface (SPI, I2C, Serial, etc.) for error and diagnostic info. I believe the chip above covers all of the bases, but I would love to trade a few of the advanced features for not having to program the thing. :D

I was not part of the design decision to do it this way, and the general method is set in stone as the PCB's this module interfaces with are already being manufactured.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So essentially what I need is a solenoid controller that can be triggered via a logic level input, will monitor the solenoid current and somehow indicate an error condition, and can be polled via some sort of interface (SPI, I2C, Serial, etc.) for error and diagnostic info. I believe the chip above covers all of the bases, but I would love to trade a few of the advanced features for not having to program the thing. :D
If these are 24vdc solenoids, why is the need to monitor current? Unless just to detect if actually operated!
Triggering itself from a logic input is generally done via opto isolator modules, Opto22 etc.
How come the interface module is under manufacture when it appears the rest of the system is still under design?
To detect whether a DC solenoid has actually shift would need a physical detection as electrical would not be conclusive, being a DC variety.
Just a few thoughts that come to mind.
Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
A SLC 100 could take care of the 24VDC output switching and 5VDC on-off inputs but not sure as to current monitoring and communications interfacing. Been retired too long in a rapidly changing environment... Max is more current than I am.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would seem to cry out for a Modbus communication interface, I am assuming that part is not yet decided on?
Also Opto22 have some fairly sophisticated control systems now, PLC in nature.
Include remote monitoring, data acquisition, process control, etc.. ...
Max.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
The logic lines to activate the solenoids come from another module, and they come in as logic level lines (not serial, etc..). The moving parts have to be 100% logic drive (logic 1, logic 0) so that it will work even if the diagnostics processor is not running. The solenoids are things like air valves, ink valves, .. so there's no limit switches. But very good current monitoring can determine if it moved or not. If it does not move then there's no back EMF so the current profile will look different.