Seeking advise on interactive buttons Autism communication aid.

Chris2001

Joined May 12, 2021
Hello I need to design and build a communication device to help my Son communicate using buttons.
I am thinking of using photos of his favorite food to tell us he's hungry and photos of his favorite tv programs ect I would to use light up large button or tile that when you press it lights up the tile and plays recording. Currently he's communicating via head butting I'm hoping using a row of programable touch tiles set in a wooden.
Suggestions welcome thank you .

Chris2001

Joined May 12, 2021
After some thought I would like to revise my plans I think we need to start by using one button switch that will work a servo and shoot style feeder filled with his favorite crisps the purpose will be to get him used to pressing a button with instant reward then later when grasps the idea we can add to it. He gets frustrated we are currently using a process of elimination to find out what he wonts headbutting means No and hand clapping mean yes but as you can imagine it can 10 or so times to find out what he wonts example when he wont to watch his favorite cartoons he will headbutt the floor until you select the one he wont to watch this might mean flicking through tons until you get it right. Hes 3 years old he doesn't point so flash cards are not working. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated thank you.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
After some thought I would like to revise my plans I think we need to start by using one button switch that will work a servo and shoot style feeder filled with his favorite crisps the purpose will be to get him used to pressing a button with instant reward then later when grasps the idea we can add to it. He gets frustrated we are currently using a process of elimination to find out what he wonts headbutting means No and hand clapping mean yes but as you can imagine it can 10 or so times to find out what he wonts example when he wont to watch his favorite cartoons he will headbutt the floor until you select the one he wont to watch this might mean flicking through tons until you get it right. Hes 3 years old he doesn't point so flash cards are not working. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated thank you.
@ Chris2001 I'll PM you.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How about a row of pictures and drawn symbols to point at?A picture of a crisp, and maybe an apple or other treat. And a drawing of a shoe or a sock. And picturesor sketch-drawings of favorite things. Much less technical and much more durable, as they can have a perspex cover. And a button to ring a bell to get your attention to see what is selected.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As the parent of a now adult level functional 27yo child with Autism feel your pain in the quest of communication. Nonverbal communication using gestures and eye contact, lights, sounds and actual objects all build a foundation for language.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
As the parent of a now adult level functional 27yo child with Autism feel your pain in the quest of communication. Nonverbal communication using gestures and eye contact, lights, sounds and actual objects all build a foundation for language.
Are you suggesting that an autistic person would rather communicate with another person instead of pushing a button on a board?