search engine of the forum needs to be optimized

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi :)

I request you to improve the Search feature of the forum. Most of the times I can't even find my own posts from previous threads. I wasn't even able to restrict the search to the threads started by me. I wanted to search for "current produced by batteries" within my own posts. Any guidelines to make searching experience better! Thank you for the help.

Regards
PG

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The regular search is not too useful, you need to learn the advanced search, which works extremely well.

It would probably be a good idea if the regular search were eliminated and the advanced search put in its place, but that is how it goes.

mwalden824

Joined Mar 6, 2011
Some cool features if possible would be:

1) The use of logical search terms, such as: AND (must contain both words), OR (either terms or both), NOT, XOR, etc.

2) exact phrases with quotation marks ""

Or maybe I just don't know how to do it?

-Michael

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would like those feature too, but for the near term I doubt it will happen. The administrators have been notably absent, life can be busy. The moderators don't have the ability, and to be honest I don't know if it can be done with this setup.

You have to remember we are using a commercial package. Somethings can be done, while others not so likely.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It's possible that fulltext searching is disabled, due to the massive load it puts on the server.

One forum I was on had fulltext search, even to the archives, available to donating members. Even then, searches would take 5 minutes to complete.

mwalden824

Joined Mar 6, 2011
Oh ok.

An alternate way I found is to use google like this..

Type in "site:allaboutcircuits.com Search Terms" without quotations.

You can use all the things you can normally do with google of course including what I mentioned above.

It would be more convenient on here though. But like you all said probably difficult to do.

Thanks,
-Michael