SDS1104X single shot recording question ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I was learning how to trigger off I2C , and for the DUI this it had to be single shot to catch the 1 button push. So w/ single shot, I would choose a time base such that the "event", would fit edge to edge on screen, and be recorded like that (I swear it was doing it at 1st)

But then I was changing setting, and now when I trigger, the 'event' is only being recorded after the 1/2 way point.... (later today I'll try getting he software on my PC, and then I could take a screen shot). But basically, I2C lines sit high when idle, and go low to start. So now on singleshot, the 1st 1/2 the recording, is just both lines sitting high, then the event I want, is the last 1/2 . Capiche ?

And it only records 1/2 the event, so I need to go to a longer time base to catch the whole event, and it's still only last 1/2 the recording

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Capiche ?
Not really. How are you going to distinguish between an address on the I2C and your switch? Or even noise, for that matter. If you aren't using an address and serial communication, why not just use IOC (interrupt on change) or any other non-serial interrupt signal?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok but it worked 1st, and now it only records 1/2 the event, so I need to go to a longer time base to catch the whole event

Well any advice on setting it up ? IDK much about it in general, both channels were AC coupled, CH1 was SCLK on the EEPROM, CH2 was the SDATA pin. I was playing with the thresholds, The "trigger" was Start Condition.

Before it seemed I'd press the button, wait about 1 second, then I could capture what seemed like 3 codes, or addresses, or whatever, of about 8 SCLK pulses, And that was fitting neatly on screen, and centered, so I think that is the whole recording, and then I can zoom in on it and move it around.

I don't know much about serial protocol, and I don't have the MCU hooked up right now (need to fix something else).

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I just want to see what the EEPROM even did, so far it seems it's just for the temperature up and down buttons on my hotair station.

I'm about to install the PC program for my scope, but I'm on linux, and I see no mention of that, and there's drivers, IDK much about Linux, so here goes nothing, I'll just try them with the "Wine" program.

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
I just want to see what the EEPROM even did, so far it seems it's just for the temperature up and down buttons on my hotair station.
I've had similar problems capturing a one-shot. Make sure the Trigger is set correctly, then experiment with the Timebase.
What 'scope are you using?
Good luck...…………...

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Similar problem was solved with success but later forgot in the early digital photography. Bad cameras are waiting waiting and when buttun had been pushed, then begin to load the datastream into memory. So, when human pushes the button, already 3/4 of event had been ended.
Good cameras, and such was only one produced in this manner, writes in all the time permanently, as the regster overflows the oldest part is erased and filled by anew. Then when the button is switched, then erasing of register is stopped and it is wriiten up to the full. Then whole event most probably will fall in wit all it`s grace.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Rock solid basic triggering on data protocols is accomplished by assigning the trigger to the clock, CS or data and typically with a falling edge trigger BUT one also needs investigate the default trigger holdoff setting and change holdoff so the scope is not triggered again until after each data packet.
Slow the timbase and examine the duration of the longest packet and adjust trigger holdoff to a touch longer than this again.
Then triggering will be only at the start of a packet and be rock solid although not on any particular packet content for which you then use a specific protocol trigger.

Further tips, when holdoff adjustment is selected the multifunction control light illuminates indicating it's in the active mode awaiting input but if you press the knob a virtual keypad appears allowing selection of both units and multipliers like n, u, m and so on. Pressing each selection inputs such and the final selection is confirmed with the OK virtual button.

Once rock solid triggering is established pressing the blue Print button saves the whole display to USB stick.

I'm about to install the PC program for my scope, but I'm on linux, and I see no mention of that, and there's drivers, IDK much about Linux, so here goes nothing, I'll just try them with the "Wine" program.
EasyScopeX won't work on Linux and the scopes inbuilt webrowser is a better tool.
You need a LAN switch handy so DHCP automatically assigns the scope and IP which you then Save and then just point your browser to the scopes IP.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok I got the TL-WN725N and on linux, if I connect it directly to my PC, it shows up as I could use it to connect to wifi, so it seems to be working, (I fooled with the drivers, IDK, linux is endless rabbit holes, I miss windows...wow

When I plug the TL-WN into the scope, the scope says a wifi device is connected, I went into the scope menu and chose USB under I/O . But I don't see anything to connect to yet, from my PC. I don't see any new wifi device pop-up, that I could connect to. But IDK Linux, so IDK what am I missing here ??

I don't think I finished installing LXI tools yet, just more confusion.

The manuals are not much help at all, never mind I'm new to linux. I tried plugging it into the AWG, and also didn't see any new wifi device show up on my PC's wireless list (from my regular wifi dongle)

At this rate I will go back to windows 8 I suppose

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
When I plug the TL-WN into the scope, the scope says a wifi device is connected, I went into the scope menu and chose USB under I/O . But I don't see anything to connect to yet, from my PC. I don't see any new wifi device pop-up, that I could connect to. But IDK Linux, so IDK what am I missing here ??
You missed the menu to set up the scopes WiFi is under the same button as LAN, not in the USB I/O menu.
So Utilities>I/O>LAN and if you WiFi dongle is installed another WiFi menu is available.
Presuming your WiFi network works with other devices, you'll need to enter your SSID or can search for available networks and your password.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ha ha, thanks, so the scope connects to my ISP-router, then my PC connects to the router and after enabling DHCP (failed without it) the scope got a new IP and I went to that in firefox and now I'm on the scope.

So I'll try again with the AWG, or find the right CAT5 cable. I want to try the Bode plot function
Thanks again

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Ha ha, thanks, so the scope connects to my ISP-router, then my PC connects to the router and after enabling DHCP (failed without it) the scope got a new IP and I went to that in firefox and now I'm on the scope.
Sorta.
If you know your local LAN IP and can assign a valid non-clashing IP to the scope you don't need DHCP enabled however by enabling it it's the quickest way to get a valid IP address. Then just hit Save and use the same IP each time you connect to the LAN.
So I'll try again with the AWG, or find the right CAT5 cable. I want to try the Bode plot function
Much the same process with the AWG however a USB connection is simpler if you have a spare USB A socket on the scope then it connects to the USB B on the AWG.
But any LAN cable should connect up fine for the Bode plot feature.
I can link you a Bode plot example to replicate if you like.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok I'll try that now too.

Well I think I hacked the scope back to the 1204X-E 200MHz default

1st had to follow the post on eevblog, and finally figured out that telnet is basically built into the linux terminal. Then I used the old firmware, then the 2 updates, then managed to "telnet into port 23" and indeed that worked, I was inside the scope.
Then I just entered

mount -o remount,rw ubi2_0 /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
cd /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
mv bandwidth.txt bandwidth.bak
snyc

then manually rebooted, the 'shutdown -r now' didn't work.
And now my scope reads as
SWver:8.1.6.1.25R2
FPGAver:2018-03-06

ProdType: SDS1204X-E

So I'm just running another self-cal. So that's great..But now can I update any thing back to anything newer w/ bug fixes etc ?
Before the FPGAver was :2019-04-08

Excellent, but now I want to try dumping the memory and seeing what all that key finding was about.

I do not feel like a hacker, that was way too easy, did all the later people after the 1st page...I thought it didn't work any more, and so they tried new stuff. Or was that just more ways ?

If I get the AWG hacked today too I should notice a difference on the scope over 100MHz, I have a 200MHz probe

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I'm trying to get the SDG to communicate, and I can't figure it out yet or even know the problem. The IP address I can input on the AWG, is it the IP address of my ISP router ? Or an address I'm assigning it ?, I tried the latter

With the TP-link, is that even supposed to work on the SDG2042 ? I go into LAN settings, I can't set DHCP to on, no matter what buttons I try, I can highlight it, but it's off and won't turn on.

I tried t568A and B cables, from the AWG to my PC, linux just blinks connection failed.

I see the scope was set to an an address, so I tried setting the AWG to the same, except the host block of the IP, I set to 16 instead of 15, IDK if that's right, but I figured in linux under wired connections, I'd try to add that IP address and I can't seem to do that yet, IDK if I'm supposed to be trying in the 1st place.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I'm trying to get the SDG to communicate, and I can't figure it out yet or even know the problem. The IP address I can input on the AWG, is it the IP address of my ISP router ? Or an address I'm assigning it ?, I tried the latter
Unless you have a LAN switch on the bench just use USB directly to the scope for Bode plot connectivity and control.

With the TP-link, is that even supposed to work on the SDG2042 ? I go into LAN settings, I can't set DHCP to on, no matter what buttons I try, I can highlight it, but it's off and won't turn on.
SDG do not support WiFi, you only have wired LAN or USB for connectivity.

Well I think I hacked the scope back to the 1204X-E 200MHz default
And now my scope reads as
SWver:8.1.6.1.25R2
FPGAver:2018-03-06

ProdType: SDS1204X-E

So I'm just running another self-cal. So that's great..But now can I update any thing back to anything newer w/ bug fixes etc ?
Before the FPGAver was :2019-04-08
You definitely need update the firmware in the scope....that's a very old version.
Latest is 3 or 4 versions later and you can get it here:
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.35R2_EN.zip
should notice a difference on the scope over 100MHz, I have a 200MHz probe
Just use the stock PP510 100 MHz probes.
A guy on EEVblog swept those probes to out past 200 MHz and they were within 1dB of the 200 MHz probes all the way.
Sure the PP215 probe is slightly better match for SDS1204X-E but not so much that you can't use stock PP510 100 MHz probes.

Will PM you on another matter, standby for it.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok I got the LAN figured out enough to have my PC ethernet NIC set to a different subnet, so I set 192.168.3.2, 24/ and 192.168.3.1 gw, then I set the SDG to
192.168.3.3 /24 ; 192.168.3.1 gw

and finally, I had to turn on the eno1 again, so finally I can ping the SDG and I guess I can try the 120MHz hack

I should try what I did 1st, that made an IP conflict, too see if my host number was too low, in a reserved DHCP , or maybe I'm not allowed to use the same subnet, as the scope and wi-fi ? they are NA 192.168.2.xxx

Eitherway, this is forcing me to learn stuff, that I want to learn anyways

I got the SDG2042X upgraded to the full 120MHz version, and the firmware was not changed, so it looks good, reads as SDG2122X !!!

Excellent, all 3 of my Siglent machines are upgraded now.

Last edited: