screw sorting machine

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
Hello
By the way, looking at any device, it is not known how it would have been made. But when I saw this
You Tube video, I am curios to know how it would have been made. I do not want to go too deep but I want to find out only the basic parts. anyone would be help me

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What sort of information would you like us to divine from a video that shows nothing? Perhaps the hidden operator is just using a joystick to decide which part goes into what bin.

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
What sort of information would you like us to divine from a video that shows nothing? Perhaps the hidden operator is just using a joystick to decide which part goes into what bin.
video shows the requirement, To get this recruitment, we have to design electronic system, so what we need
Is it good choice to choose the microcontroller for this type of project ?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
One of possibilities is offered by LabWiev runtime, able to recognize by webcam an objest class and subclass as well the coordinates. This the small driver must be programmed let the robohand moves the object and voila!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello
By the way, looking at any device, it is not known how it would have been made. But when I saw this You Tube video, I am curios to know how it would have been made. I do not want to go too deep but I want to find out only the basic parts. anyone would be help me
Here are the easy parts:
Computer
Motor drivers
Motors
Camera

Here are the difficult parts:
Software
Pattern recognition
Intelligence

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Did you forget the micro controller ? Without micro controller we cannot control the motor from computer

Would you tell me basic hardware for this parts ? once we decided hardware we can jump on programming
You can use a microcontroller or you can use the PC to control the motors. MCU is not necessary.

I already listed the basic hardware.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here are the difficult parts:
Software
Pattern recognition
Intelligence
Yes, pattern recognition, but there is no evidence such pattern recognition was done by machine versus by the operator looking at the parts imaged on a video screen. Maybe somewhere in between, the machine identified object, operator enters bin object should go into.

In terms of hardware, one question is whether to use video or digital for the image.

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
You can use a microcontroller or you can use the PC to control the motors. MCU is not necessary.
You are saying we can control the motor directly from computer. What would be the interface between computer and motor ? I think motor driver would interface between PC and Motor

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Well, at least the video on Yourtube gives a link to the Instructables page:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Screw-Sorting-Machine/
where they describe the build and give a link to the code they use, on Github. Of course, any such custom build would require customized code.
One problem I see with this design is that it only works on magnetic screws. Won't work for brass or most stainless fasteners...
EDIT: From what I see, the code on Github is for the controller, but what is lacking is the PC code for the optical recognition portion...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
One problem I see with this design is that it only works on magnetic screws. Won't work for brass or most stainless fasteners...
And can't see where it would fit in an industrial situation. AS a learning experience in a class room maybe. But in industry or any I ever worked in only one type of fastener comes off of a machine at a time, no sorting involved.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Put yourself in our positions. Other than what you tell us, we know nothing about what you want to do; and you given us very few details.

Will there be items that aren't screws? Will there be multiple types of screws? What are the sort parameters? What are your constraints on solution space?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I watched the video twice.
The arm seems to know where to pick up the next. No search, no "doubt", no apparent "decission" made on the field.
And if you watch carefully it doesn't put the same type of item in the same box every time. So most likely it is being manually operated off camera. Another Youtube gotcha.