Scope triggering.

thedoc8

Joined Nov 28, 2012
When setting your scope to "line", for triggering, is there anyway to know at what part of the sine the trigger is generated from. For example I would like it to trigger a little before or after the peak. Maybe other scopes can set that level. When I select line, the level control is locked. Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It might help to know what scope you are using. This is for the MSO1000Z/DS1000Z series Rigol:
1584250092500.png
It is an automatic setting on those scopes. However, you can go manual settings.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
When setting your scope to "line", for triggering, is there anyway to know at what part of the sine the trigger is generated from. For example I would like it to trigger a little before or after the peak. Maybe other scopes can set that level. When I select line, the level control is locked. Thanks.
You can discover what part of the cycle is triggering the trace by feeding a line based signal to a Y channel and seeing where the trigger point is on that waveform.

thedoc8

Joined Nov 28, 2012
You can discover what part of the cycle is triggering the trace by feeding a line based signal to a Y channel and seeing where the trigger point is on that waveform.
Thanks, that is a good idea. I have 4 scopes and as yet cannot adjust the trigger point on the sine. But your way I can see where it is at.

thedoc8

Joined Nov 28, 2012
It might help to know what scope you are using. This is for the MSO1000Z/DS1000Z series Rigol:
View attachment 201515
It is an automatic setting on those scopes. However, you can go manual settings.
I know how to trigger, just wanted to change where it triggered. Have 4 scopes and can't adj where on the sine it trigger. Using line. Thanks for feedback.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Simple, don't use Line trigger as it triggers at the mains zero crossing point.

Use a falling Edge trigger and set the level after the sine wave peak. Close to the peak level you may find some jitter due to trigger hysteresis.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If the scope has an external trigger, connect a line derived voltage to that and then you will have all the normal trigger modes.

puppydog846

Joined Apr 5, 2020
just look at the line voltage Put the ground on the metel od scocket and piut probe on the line side. But be careful when you do . You may not have to attach GND