Scaling voltage with secondary power supply

treyjazz

Joined Nov 13, 2018
I have a budget CNC router that operates on 12V with the motor control embedded into the Arduino shield - not a daughter driver board. I am trying to figure out the best method scale the voltage by a factor of 2 - essentially a variable voltage regulator with a 12v analog control. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have a budget CNC router that operates on 12V with the motor control embedded into the Arduino shield - not a daughter driver board. I am trying to figure out the best method scale the voltage by a factor of 2 - essentially a variable voltage regulator with a 12v analog control. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
I don’t understand what you mean. Are you saying you need to amplify the Arduino shield output to drive the router? Describe the output (is it PWM?) and what the router requires.

treyjazz

Joined Nov 13, 2018
Yes, the motor output is using PWM at a max voltage of 12v. It just occurred to me to make a circuit with a transistor wired to the Arduino pin controlling the motor rather than trying to amplify the output from the shield. From researching a bit more it seems the IRF520 is a good choice.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That IS an amplifier. A MOSFET is a good choice but you want one that is “logic level”. That means it will turn on fully at the output voltage level of your Arduino.