sanding pins on a USB Port ?

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys,i've been wanting to ask you guys,
Is it a good practice to sand pins on an electronic component before to add solder?
i have here a USB port that has this tiny legs and i already lost one port and ordered another one .

it seems to me the 5 pins are hard to solder to the board,it seems to me those pins are not made of good materials,should i sand them first ?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
No..
I'll assume you are hand soldering them.. If so and flux cored solder isn't sufficient then get some extra flux and use that..
I'd bet its just a lack of soldering skills...

Unless your parts are so old and were stored in a horrible..horrible environment there is no way that any corrosion/oxidation is bad enough to require sanding.. and if it was there is no way I'd do anything but throw those parts in the trash.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is it a good practice to sand pins on an electronic component before to add solder?
No. Many leads are coated to protect the base material and/or improve solderability. If you remove the coating, you defeat the purpose.

In general, flux is used to cut through any oxidation; but there are times when some judicious mechanical intervention is required.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Aged copper can form a hard smooth coating of oxidation that will prevent mild Flux from working and sometimes even make zinc chloride fail to work.
In such EXTREME cases one can use a 320 or finer emery paper to gently brighten the area. I HAVE done this and it works.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks ; Kermit2 do you mean that the pins on this cheap USB port maybe made of zinc chloride?.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GGLANFY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

No, chloride salts in the flux etch away the oxides of copper and tin as the solder flows onto the metal.

If solder seems to bead up and not bond to the component leads or the circuit board (bare copper or tin-plated copper), then fine sand paper is one option but a pencil eraser also works (and you don't end up with black copper or tin dust everywhere). Any good quality pink or white eraser will work. Rub until the metal is bright. Takes just a few seconds, flip and do the other side.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks guys i will try to do the job one more time.i think my issue is more of low vision, the pins are so tiny would be better off with a microscope, but it's too much money,this time i will use stronger glasses with my branch lens