Same network but different speeds. Why?

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Hi. Today I bought a new tablet and noticed it has very slow internet connection. I checked and it has 72 Mb/sn speed while my mobile phone has 144 Mb/sn on the same network(and my computer gets 72 too). Actually i don't know much about these type of things, but I checked the internet and tried solutions that I found on forums. I logged in my modem interface and changed newtork bandwith to 40 Mhz from 20/40 Mhz. Now, my computer also gets 144 Mb/sn but my tablet still gets 72 Mb/sn. Can anyone help me with this? Any help will be appreciated.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You don’t say, so excuse me if I assume that all devices are connecting with a wireless connection.

The wireless standard had several different defined speeds. 802.11 is the overriding standard for a wireless connection. However, there are several variants to the standard. The variants are a, b, g and n. For example, 802.11n is the fastest standard.

So, the hardware in your devices may connect via different standards and thus you experience the different speeds. Without knowing which standard each device connects with, it’s not possible to explain any difference in speeds.

How are you measuring connection speed?

varden

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Yes, I forgot to mention, all devices are connected wireless. I simply go to wifi setting and tap on the name of wifi network that I am connected. It is written there under connection speed.
I saw something like variants that you mentioned above. In modem settings, wireless mode can be selected 'Automatic','N only' or 'legacy'. Also there is a ticked box that says 'b/g protection'. Can I force my tablet to connect via variant n?
I also forgot to mention that my tablet is samsung tab a 2019.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I don’t know. I do know that if your tablet’s wireless adapter is an older one (meaning that it doesn’t support 802.11n) then you can’t force it to operate at a higher speed.