salvaging shift registers and where to find them.

Andrew Lapham

Joined Jun 1, 2018
It's almost time for my local annual throwout/collection night. each year I pick a project and use it as my inspiration for what to collect. This way I can feed my need for electronics and recycle peoples trash at the same time.
Pretty much people all over the surrounding suburbs put a pile of old goods out and the local council collects it.
I have a list growing of stuff to collect and one of the things I'm going to be looking for is shift registers. does anyone have any advice on what type of devices to keep an eye out to find them?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Are you talking about the shift registers ICs as :
74HC595 -- 8-Bit Serial-Input/Serial or Parallel-Output Shift Register with Latched 3-State Outputs
High-Performance Silicon-Gate CMOS, if you want this ic then maybe you can find it on the control board of big dot matrix LED display

74HC165 -- SNx4HC165 8-Bit Parallel-Load Shift Registers, you may find it on the old industry control board with RS232 communication device.

74HC166 -- 8-bit parallel-in/serial out shift register, you may find it on the old industry control board with RS232 communication device.