S7V7F5 outputting too much voltage

GuineaPig123

Joined Aug 27, 2016
Hello,
I ordered myself a S7V7F5 to power a microcontroller with 4x AA batteries or a 9V power supply. When I hook up the S7V7F5 to 4,0V from some partially drained AA batteries, it outputs 6.0V (wich would kill my microcontroller, 3,6-5V is optimal). Is that because I'm measuring without any load applied? Really don't want to hook it straight up in case the voltage is too high...

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I found this statement in the information given in your link:

"The output voltage, VOUT, is regulated to a fixed 5 V, but it can be as high as 5.2 V when there is little or no load on the regulator."

Since the other information given seems to be reasonable I am inclined to think that your seeing 6 volts is not right. Just to be sure, try putting a load of a few milliamps on the output. I would try a resistor between 150 ohms and 330 ohms and see if the voltage goes down to closer to 5 volts.

GuineaPig123

Joined Aug 27, 2016
Could also be the depleted battery you used. Some supplies will misbehave badly on out of spec inputs.
But it is supposed to work from 2,7V up to almost 12V...

Since the other information given seems to be reasonable I am inclined to think that your seeing 6 volts is not right. Just to be sure, try putting a load of a few milliamps on the output. I would try a resistor between 150 ohms and 330 ohms and see if the voltage goes down to closer to 5 volts.
Gonna try that, I'll be back with results soon

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Those depleted batteries may show 4 volts on a meter but what voltage do they sag down to when they try to output current?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Those depleted batteries may show 4 volts on a meter but what voltage do they sag down to when they try to output current?
This problem is with no load on the output so the batteries only have to be able supply the quiescent current of the regulator - less than 0.1mA from the spec.

GuineaPig123

Joined Aug 27, 2016
So... I'm going to attach a image of the breadboard circuit. Have I done something wrong? The "Power Supply" is a Raspberry Pi outputting 5,75V (yeah, should be 5,0V normally too)
And the Voltage Regulator only reduces it by 0,02V to 5,73V... Or is my Voltmeter maybe completly wrong? How could I test that?