RX580 8 GB power supply and connection

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys!

I need to setup RX580, but when I connect it to the power supply the PSU stops. It is a problem with the PSU unit which is separate from the desktop PSU and is only for powering the GPU.

I have a desktop PC connected to the riser
A PSU only for the RX 580
Cable from 2x4 pin to 6 pin for the riser
Cable from 2x4 pin to 8 pin for the GPU

Mod: cleaned up the last image

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It may be that the power supply that stops is only able to provide the current required for what it has been powering. In that case, connecting an additional load will overload the power supply and cause it to shut down.
Given that the TS has not provided any information as to the power supply rating or the required load currents, this is the only reasonable guess. And certainly, given NO INFORMATION, it is a guess.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That somewhat out of focus picture tells us the ratings of a whole family of power supplies. Which one is the one being used?? And none of the photos of the circuit boards, which do not open for me, show any text describing the current required. Perhaps the TS has access to more information about the power requirements of the devices involved, as well as information as to the capabilities of whichever power supply is being used. THOSE number will indicate if the fault is simply an overload shutdown, or if it is something else.

Last edited:

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Looks like you are using a riser from the PCIe-x1 slot. No way you are going to get any performance from that video card with a x1 slot connection. Why are you not using the full x16 slot in that picture (blue slot)? If power is an issue, upgrade your PSU to a 500W supply with the necessary 8 pin PCIe power plug. That video card has a TDP of 185W
Mixing power supplies also requires you to make sure the ground returns are all the same for all supplies. The PCIex1 slot is only rated for 25W (maximum, some are less, like 10W), so any ground return thru the riser may be causing a problem. It may also cause problems with any voltage sensing if the supplies are not matched (+12V is the same "actual" voltage on both supplies). You may be driving one +12V supply with the other via that riser, seen as a possible short circuit. Remember that the video card has +12V power connections via the PCIe slot AND the 8 pin PCIe power connector.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you have another video card, or even can borrow one for a bit, try the same setup but with a different video card. Also, try it without any of the CD drives connected, You need to disconnect both power and data connections.
Consider that it might be a different part of the system that just happened to fail at the same time. That has happened to me, A totally unrelated device failed just at the time I installed a new part to a system. It took a few minutes to realize THAT.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
If both PSUs shut down with the external video card, then it is either a bad video card or something is not wired properly with the external adapter/riser.
As mentioned already, try another video card to see if the PSU runs or not with a different card. If a second card also forces a shutdown, then there is a wiring mistake (or not compatible riser). If the second video runs ok, then suspect the RX580 card as faulty. Only way to test that card further would be to put it into a desktop with a large enough PSU and proper video slot for that card.
Some higher end video cards can sense what type of slot it is plugged into. Using a PCIex1 adapter may be confusing the video card and causing a shutdown signal somewhere.