running a tesla coil off of a dirod or wimshurst machine? ..#2

BoardofEd

Joined Jul 29, 2021
so I know it can be done on small scale but i am wondering if a big ~1MV T.C. could be powered that way.
please see the huge dirod and the huge TC in attachments and please tell me if the dirod could power the TC in pictures?
thank you for any opinions
Here is a small Tesla Coil Driven by a Quadruple Bonetti Machine

BoardofEd

Joined Jul 29, 2021
so I know it can be done on small scale but i am wondering if a big ~1MV T.C. could be powered that way.
please see the huge dirod and the huge TC in attachments and please tell me if the dirod could power the TC in pictures?
thank you for any opinions
Yes, it can be done, assuming the machine produces enough current to charge the tank capacitor(s) in a reasonable time period, although even with massive charging delays, you'll get one pulse per discharge across the spark gap.

BoardofEd

Joined Jul 29, 2021
Yes, it can be done, assuming the machine produces enough current to charge the tank capacitor(s) in a reasonable time period, although even with massive charging delays, you'll get one pulse per discharge across the spark gap.
How? Aren't Dirod's 'static' electricity, any I've had experience with are, same as the Whimshurst. And to my knowledge a Tesla is AC.
This is nonsense. In order to operate a Tesla coil, you must charge the tank capacitor(s). That is best done with DC unless you are using a mains line frequency power supply (50/60 hz) like but not limited to a neon sign transformer or reverse pole pig. The reason is in those cases the tank cap(s) will get fully charged each 1/2 cycle. High-frequency AC supplies like a Flyback transformer will not adequately charge the tank capacitor(s) on the half-cycle, so they MUST be rectified. So YES, you can drive a Tesla Coil with an electrostatic generator, you just need one that will provide enough current to charge the tank cap in a reasonable amount of time. Here is an example: