Running 6 volt LED array on 12 volts

Emare

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I am new to your forum but have enjoyed reading the posts. I read a post where a 5 volt LED was being run on 12 volts. The instructions were very helpful and I was able to calculate the resistors required to add to the circuit to run the 6 volt LED array on 12 volts for a ceiling light in my RV. When I took a close look at the LED circuit board which holds the LEDs I could see resistors between both the positive and negative power and the LEDs. Is this the normal way to design the circuit, and is this half the resistance for each side of the circuit?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Any of several designs can be used. The purpose of the resistor is current limiting. You calculate the needed resistance and that resistance can be placed, looking at a drawing, on either side of the LED (Anode or Cathode) side. As long as the used resistor can dissipate the power it needs to. That said if for example between the supply voltage and the LED I need 300 ohms the LED won't care if I place that 300 ohms on the anode or cathode side of the LED. I could even place 150 ohms on each side of the LED.

Here is an example:
LED Series Resistors.png

The effect of the series resistance will be the same for all three LEDs pictured.

Is this the normal way to design the circuit, and is this half the resistance for each side of the circuit?
Yes and it may have been done that way for a few reasons including the use of two low wattage resistors verse one larger wattage resistor. Why in your circuit it was done that way I don't know but it can be done that way.

Ron

Emare

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Ron, thanks for the quick reply. It makes sense. I am new to this so I thought it was prudent to ask the question.