Rs550 electric motor help

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Just increase the voltage, the motor and setup should be able to handle up to "20%" more. But test it for a long time to make sure it does not threaten the child.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, it clearly shows that the two motors are connected in series Changing that connection to a parallel connection would increase the top speed to possibly twice as much. If you were able to unplug those connectors numbered 1 and 2 in the drawing from that small harness that connects to both of the motors and plug #1 into #2 that goes to the motor, you could then experiment with a one-wheel drive at the higher voltage, and see if the speed was acceptable to you and your son. Probably the handling would be a bit strange with one wheel drive so keep that in mind before starting the try-out.
One question: does this car have variable speeds, or is it just an on/off type of control?
For instructions on how to wire both motors in parallel you will need to add numbers to each connection of that wire harness with the three connectors that connects to the motors and the driver module. And add 3 to the connector with no number. That will allow for clear and easy changeover instructions, and also allow changine back with little chance of any errors. You will also need two wire nuts sized for 3 #14 wires. Actually, you may possibly need to extend a wire or two if they are not long enough.

Marka1977

Joined Nov 24, 2018
So I tested the 1 motor and it's about twice as quick. Safely though. The car is definable start stop. Forward reverse.
The only thing that happened was the car turned off after a couple of quick pedal presses. I had to turn the car off and on again for it to power back up.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So I tested the 1 motor and it's about twice as quick. Safely though. The car is definable start stop. Forward reverse.
The only thing that happened was the car turned off after a couple of quick pedal presses. I had to turn the car off and on again for it to power back up.
The circuit probably has some sort of over current or self resetting circuit breaker in it. Using a single motor to move the car meant to use two motors would cause it to trip, due to overloading that one motor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Some form of control needed, the simplest might be a switch on the start pedal, i.e. initially start in series, at some point switch to parallel
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Some form of control needed, the simplest might be a switch on the start pedal, i.e. initially start in series, at some point switch to parallel
Max.
Really, what would be very good is a PWM speed controller. A good one uses a double 555 timer IC, a 556, one section creating a ramp wave and the second section working as a comparator to provide a variable duty cycle pulse in response to a variable voltage. That could drive a high powered MOSFET switching transistor very well. It would need a heat sink and the addition of a variable resistor to the pedal. The switch could remain on the pedal to shut off the system completely and prevent the battery from running down when the car was not in use.