RPM sensor

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Just got this in the mail finally and it's not what I thought!!? The wafer cable needs to be wired but I have no idea to what. I also don't know where the 3rd wire from the sensor goes, can someone help this major newbie with 2 year old language?

image_jpickles77_800x600.jpeg

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just got this in the mail finally and it's not what I thought!!? The wafer cable needs to be wired but I have no idea to what. I also don't know where the 3rd wire from the sensor goes, can someone help this major newbie with 2 year old language?
Are you certain that wafer is not a magnet? Seems a bit thin for one but who knows. Place a paper clip on it to see if it sticks.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The files size that you attached were too big, I was compressed it to the normal size, they are from about 1.2MB compressed to about 90KB, next time before you upload the files, please compress the photos to 800x600 or 640x480, if necessary then you can compress to 1024x768, almost the photos using 800x600 image is enough.

Too much file size will affecting the connecting speed of members to get into the forums, thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
the wafer plugs Into the digital display, but I don't know where the other 5 leads go. also I need to know which of those coloured wires are positive and negative. 2 gents on here, dodgydave and Maxheadroom recommended it but I didn't think it would come like this. Im totally confused and really need some step by step instruction in simple English lol

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Why don't you continue on your original tread?
I was hoping the 2 members that were originally helping me with this would see the newer post. The idea of naming them on the heading was an afterthought. One of them recommended I buy this sensor so now I need help wiring it.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
From post #2, what is the name of the sensor? Who makes it? What is the part number? Where did you buy it? Is there an online link to any information? Thanks for the picture; we need the (1000) words.

ak

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I was hoping the 2 members that were originally helping me with this would see the newer post. The idea of naming them on the heading was an afterthought. One of them recommended I buy this sensor so now I need help wiring it.
Continue on the original thread please. Both multiple threads on the same subject and calling out specific forum members is rude behavior. People will help when they are able.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hello mate what is the problem, looks like its an inductance sensor with 3 wires, two supply one output...

Edit dont forget I'm in UK, time difference is 6 hrs ahead of you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Appears to be a common proximity ferrous metal detector, the most common (standard) wire colours are Brown=+v, Black=output, Blue=-ve
You also need to know if it is NPN or PNP output, usually open collector.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Appears to be a common proximity ferrous metal detector, the most common (standard) wire colours are Brown=+v, Black=output, Blue=-ve
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Max.
Agreed. It looks exactly like that. The device is probably nothing more than a simple frequency counter, which then translates the signal into RPMs. Also, probably the wafer is a metal disc meant to be adhered to a non-ferrous wheel for the sensor to work properly.
OP: Do you have a user's manual, spec sheet, etc? To what do you intend to attach your sensor, a car?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Max.
Max,

That seems like an odd color assignment yet you talk like it is some defacto industry standard. Is there some sort of history to that. Is there some sort of decoder chart that has all the wire color assignments for common sensors?

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Max.
Thanks Max , if you recall this one was recommended by you so I ordered it, so I'm just wondering if I could get some help hooking it up? The 3 wires coming from the sensor are one thing, but the wafer cable is bothering me, it plugs Into the display but I don't know where the other end goes? Reminder that I'm very new to all of this :)