RPM sensor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks Max , if you recall this one was recommended by you so I ordered it, so I'm just wondering if I could get some help hooking it up? The 3 wires coming from the sensor are one thing, but the wafer cable is bothering me, it plugs Into the display but I don't know where the other end goes? Reminder that I'm very new to all of this :)
I don't recall mentioning a part number, can you direct me to the OP where I suggested it?
IIRC it was a counter?
I may have just recommended a proximity sensor, remind me what you are hooking into.

Max,

That seems like an odd color assignment yet you talk like it is some defacto industry standard. Is there some sort of history to that.
After using different makes and manuf, there definitely seems to be an agreed pattern, where this originated from, I cannot say.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Max,

That seems like an odd color assignment yet you talk like it is some defacto industry standard. Is there some sort of history to that. Is there some sort of decoder chart that has all the wire color assignments for common sensors?
When it comes to inductive sensors, there's no real industry standard, and wiring color can change from brand to brand. However, the dominant models are usually German (and Chinese) and those are the standard colors that they've been using for years.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
I don't recall mentioning a part number, can you direct me to the OP where I suggested it?
IIRC it was a counter?
I may have just recommended a proximity sensor, remind me what you are hooking into.

After using different makes and manuf, there definitely seems to be an agreed pattern, where this originated from, I cannot say.
Max.
You found it on eBay and sent me he link, it's from China. I asked for help to find a RPM sensor to measure the speed on my lathe. My original post that you and Dave helped me with was for wiring motors to make a power feed for my lathe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When it comes to inductive sensors, there's no real industry standard, and wiring color can change from brand to brand. However, the dominant models are usually German (and Chinese) and those are the standard colors that they've been using for years.
The makes I have used in the past that also conform include Idec, Balluff, Omron, Allen-Bradley, Turk et-al.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I found the other post and it looks like it was a counter and sensor combined, the connection appears to be 12v- gnd- cs? - inp.
So you need to supply the counter and the prox with 12v +ve &-ve on the 12v and Gnd and the input (blk) will go to INP.
The Brn and Blue of the prox will also need 12v supply.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
His next question will be, "which terminal does the sensor output connect to, CS or IN"...
Well, my question here is, which type of sensor is he using, NPN or PNP? Because if it's a PNP, most likely it works at around 12VDC (normal sensors work in the range of 10 to 30VDC) and its output will also be 12VDC, and if it's directly connected to the PCB without at least a voltage divider, it will fry the 5V MCU.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is NPN the display and prox was bought as a set off ebay.
I am wondering if it is going to also sense ferrous metal, as the ebay demo shows mounted on a Plexiglass wheel with the disc magnet attached.
That is presuming it IS a magnet?
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It is NPN the display and prox was bought as a set off ebay.
I am wondering if it is going to also sense ferrous metal, as the ebay demo shows mounted on a Plexiglass wheel with the disc magnet attached.
That is presuming it IS a magnet?
Max.
I very much doubt that what we're seeing is a hall-effect sensor... but you never know. In any event, it's very is for the OP to test if the disc is a magnet or not.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm afraid you've lost me, Max. Your link says that the sensor is of the inductive type, but that a magnet is included. Now, I've used inductive sensors before and they also work on aluminum and even copper, though with less sensitivity.

All this time I've thought that hall-effect sensors were used to detect the presence of magnetic fields only. But now it's downed on me that the inductive type of sensors actually generate a magnetic field (through induction) that is later detected by a hall-effect sensor inside (I thought they were detecting the presence of an electric field only).... so all inductive sensors have a hall-effect element in them, but hall-effect sensors don't have an inductive circuit in them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It says this in the description:
"This Inductive Proximity Switch Sensor is ideal for detecting the presence of ferrous or magnetic objects to determine rotational speed, the presence or absence of parts, or position limits."

Most proximities out there are ferrous metal detectors, there are versions available for non-ferrous also.
Basically they all generate a field and the non-ferrous produce its own magnetic field and sense the disturbance of this field, the magnet sensor type simply detect an existing magnetic field, in some cases also have a small PM magnet embedded in them for polarity or unipolar detection etc.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Wow, I'm blown away by all the Info guys, I thank everyone. Im embarrassed to say even though there is allot of great info I'm still confused and apologize for that. I have a power supply here that I'm hoping will work? I have low volt wire as well, black and white leads, so I need some help .... Will this power supply work? If so, I have no idea how To wire the display..the sensor itself is pretty basic...3 wires that I assume are pos / neg / ground? But where the 5 wires of the wafer cable go I have no idea :Simage.jpeg

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Here is a close up of the wires for the display. I am sorry if my photos are too big, I'm just attaching from my phone and cannot alter the size :(image.jpeg