Rotary controlled 7 segment counter

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
can anyone please make a circuit schematic how to make 7 segments counter be controlled by potentiometer instead of the button switches? When i rotate the potentiometer/knob the counter to count up and when i turn the knob clockwise the counter to go down..
Thanks.
Please reply with schematic so i can try it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
how to make 7 segments counter
I assume you mean a 7 segment display? When you turn a potentiometer clockwise the display increments 0 through 9 and when you rotate the potentiometer counter clockwise the display decrements 9 through 0?

This can be done any number of ways, how would you like to do it? You can use a micro-controller as mentioned or you can use discrete components. You make no mention of what parts you have or can easily obtain?

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A knob controlled digital display could be done either with a potentiometer and a voltmeter IC, or, simpler, with a rotary encoder with a quadrature output, and an up/down counter. AND, if you can find an absolute encoder, the whole thing would simplify to the encoder, a binary to seven segment decoder IC, and the display. So the very first question is how many digits do you want? And the next question is: are you skilled enough to build something from just a circuit diagram? And are you able to get parts where you are?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
As MB2 noted, the easiest is to use a rotary encoder, which will directly give you a two output, digital quadrature signal that you can decode to give the count-up or count-down pulses.
These typically have a continuous rotation so you can turn it in either direction as long as you like.
Here's an example of the encoder.

Below is the LTspice simulation of a decoder circuit to convert the quadrature encoder signal (X,Y) to the up/down clock signals for the counter.
The output changes from a count-up clock (blue trace) to a count-down clock (yellow trace) when the two encoder signals (red and green traces) change relative phase at 10ms (indicating a reversal of rotation direction).
(Note that this circuit is inherently immune to any switch-bounce glitches in the encoder signal.)

The counter can be a CD40110, which is an up/down type with a built-in 7-segment display decoder.

upload_2018-10-23_21-20-14.png

Last edited:

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
I assume you mean a 7 segment display? When you turn a potentiometer clockwise the display increments 0 through 9 and when you rotate the potentiometer counter clockwise the display decrements 9 through 0?

This can be done any number of ways, how would you like to do it? You can use a micro-controller as mentioned or you can use discrete components. You make no mention of what parts you have or can easily obtain?

Ron
I need it for volume indicator so should be 0-99 or 0-9

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
A knob controlled digital display could be done either with a potentiometer and a voltmeter IC, or, simpler, with a rotary encoder with a quadrature output, and an up/down counter. AND, if you can find an absolute encoder, the whole thing would simplify to the encoder, a binary to seven segment decoder IC, and the display. So the very first question is how many digits do you want? And the next question is: are you skilled enough to build something from just a circuit diagram? And are you able to get parts where you are?
I need it for volume indicator so should be 0-9 or 0-99, i can get parts on Amazon.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The whole concept of a digital display to show the position of a volume control knob seems to me to be a whole lot of excess stuff for a very simple function. Providing such a display requires a great deal of extra complexity, a lot like some gaming computers with clear cases and lots of extra lights. But to do it most simply, instead of a regular potentiometer, use a step attenuator with an additional switch section to drive the 7 segment display. BUT really the whole exercise was covered in a different post very recently, when I had made an error and presumed that knob indication was desired. In that case the display was actually to be a volume lvel indicator, wrapped around a knob. BOTH ideas are a real waste of time and resources.

And that was a direct cruel order: "reply with a schematic so I can test it" !!!
My idea was to get more details from the OP. I could have said "I can suggest a way using a microcontroller" but I don't know if the OP has those skills. He just said "reply with an schematic", so one can assume he actually has the skills to do it in any way.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Why did you omit the "Please" that went in front of the sentence?
It is important to remember that participants in this forum are located in many different parts of the world, and that just as widely spread are the cultures in those areas. Note that I am not defending any of them, nor being critical, just reminding all that not everybody is from the same place. In addition, not all participants are as skilled in "english" as some of our best participants.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
It is important to remember that participants in this forum are located in many different parts of the world, and that just as widely spread are the cultures in those areas. Note that I am not defending any of them, nor being critical, just reminding all that not everybody is from the same place. In addition, not all participants are as skilled in "english" as some of our best participants.
Just an excuse to make the wrong look like right. We do not care abour rece/religion/gender, we care about the attitude and meaning behind it. We are also not afraid.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Just an excuse to make the wrong look like right. We do not care abour rece/religion/gender, we care about the attitude and meaning behind it. We are also not afraid.
I am not sure whom the "WE" you are speaking of is. And the lack of understanding that not everybody comes from the same culture is unfortunate. Also the lack of realization that not all speak the same language, and not all speak my language. (Balance deleted.)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm not sure any of that explains why the word "Please" was omitted from the quote, which made the request have a different tenor then the OP intended.
Not being completely familiar with English is no excuse for misquoting someone to make the quote look worse than it is.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Well said! I sometimes find I'm initially put off by what seems like rude or pushy attitudes here, but usually it becomes clear that it's just translation and/or cultural differences. If you give the benefit of the doubt, more often than not you find that someone has come looking for help with an open and appreciative attitude, but without a perfect ability to express that in English on their first try. Rarely, someone really does seem to be a jerk, but usually that's not the case.

Better to err on the side of treating people with respect and kindness than to go on the attack for no reason.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Well said! I sometimes find I'm initially put off by what seems like rude or pushy attitudes here, but usually it becomes clear that it's just translation and/or cultural differences. If you give the benefit of the doubt, more often than not you find that someone has come looking for help with an open and appreciative attitude, but without a perfect ability to express that in English on their first try. Rarely, someone really does seem to be a jerk, but usually that's not the case.

Better to err on the side of treating people with respect and kindness than to go on the attack for no reason.
I thought that was what I was trying to get across. But I am often misunderstood. And unfortunately some mistake trying to be decent with being weak. That is indeed an unfortunate error to make.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
The whole concept of a digital display to show the position of a volume control knob seems to me to be a whole lot of excess stuff for a very simple function. Providing such a display requires a great deal of extra complexity, a lot like some gaming computers with clear cases and lots of extra lights. But to do it most simply, instead of a regular potentiometer, use a step attenuator with an additional switch section to drive the 7 segment display. BUT really the whole exercise was covered in a different post very recently, when I had made an error and presumed that knob indication was desired. In that case the display was actually to be a volume level indicator, wrapped around a knob. BOTH ideas are a real waste of time and resources.
waste time and resources??! Nobody asked you to come here and waste your time.., you can freely go, we don't need you. keep your time and your resources for yourself.
To everyone else;
I wrote "Please reply with a schematic so i can test it" I didn't meant anything bad, i just asked if possible to reply with a schematic so i can test it. I don't understand what was wrong with it but I do understand that there are many bad people who trying to act as a smart and funny but instead they acting stupid and they doesn't even noticing it...
I can talk, write and read in 9 different languages, Croatian, German, France, English, Bosnian, Serbian, Roma, Turkish, Albanian). Those above making jokes about my comment, should think again what is difference between me and them, i am sure they are so stupid so they can just talk their mother tongue as they needed all their life to learn it so that is how smart they are.

Last edited: