Rotary Capacitor based fan speed regulator using 2 triac

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What type of fan? Shaded pole motor?
Why are you not creating 3 speeds with one triac?
Are you hoping to get phase control with capacitors?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It's a ceiling fan.
I used triac based fan dimmer but it causes audible noise from fan at lower speed that's why i am building this capacitor based dimmer so i can get rid of that noise and can control it by microcontroller.
Another avenue to explore is to use a single triac with a zero crossing opto and use variable burst firing to obtain an average speed.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I tried that too, averaging, pulse skipping method, mosfet ,igbt.
I want to know why my circuit is making noise.
I am trying to replace rotary capacitor based fan dimmer using triac so i can control it by uc.
Not by Mosfet, by Triac.
Burst firing can be done with μp.
Max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I am trying to replace rotary capacitor based fan dimmer using triac
I've never opened up a fan speed controller, but I'm having trouble imagining that it has a rotary (variable) capacitor in it. Is this a thing?

Separate from that, having both opto-TRIAC outputs fed from the same current source resistor might be the source of the chatter, since even when both opts's are on, the two opto-TRIACs come on at slightly different times. This changes the voltage drive and the amount of current available to fire the 2nd TRIAC.

Add another 470 ohm resistor ACR so each opto has its own source.

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You are going to get that in some degree by slowing a induction motor with triac, and they do not control at all with variable frequency.
You would be better off fitting a DC or BLDC motor for quiet operation at low rpm's.
Max.