RJ45 PCB Layout help

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I want to join 2 x RJ45 sockets in parallel on a PCB. I use proteus 8 professional and not for the life of me can I do a single sided PCB layout. I have even tried the auto router and it fails.

Any help will be greatly accepted.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
So you want to have two PC board mount RJ-45's sitting side by side wired in parallel on a single sided PC board? Can't be done without jumpers. If I was on my other computer I could do it real quick with Express PCB.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
So you want to have two PC board mount RJ-45's sitting side by side wired in parallel on a single sided PC board? Can't be done without jumpers. If I was on my other computer I could do it real quick with Express PCB.
Ok I never considered jumpers I will try it now

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It can be done easily with an S shaped routing between the two connectors. For two connectors at the right edge of the board, facing to the right (outward):

8 traces go in parallel to the 8 pins of the upper connector.
The 8 traces continue straight under the connector body, then all 8 turn 90 degrees to the right to head downward.
When they are even with the gap between the two connectors, hen they turn 90 degrees to the right to head back between the connectors toward the inside of the board.
Once past the back of the connectors, they turn 90 degrees left to go down behind the lower connector.
Then they turn 90 degrees left again and go straight to the 8 pins under the lower connector.

No jumpers, and equal average path length for all 8 signals.

ak

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Even with Jumpers I have failed

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It can be done easily with an S shaped routing between the two connectors. For two connectors at the right edge of the board, facing to the right (outward):

8 traces go in parallel to the 8 pins of the upper connector.
The 8 traces continue straight under the connector body, then all 8 turn 90 degrees to the right to head downward.
When they are even with the gap between the two connectors, hen they turn 90 degrees to the right to head back between the connectors toward the inside of the board.
Once past the back of the connectors, they turn 90 degrees left to go down behind the lower connector.
Then they turn 90 degrees left again and go straight to the 8 pins under the lower connector.

No jumpers, and equal average path length for all 8 signals.

ak
I am struggling to follow this explanation. Would you be good enough to post a sketch.

Thank you

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Rodney,
Can you post a sketch of the desired orientation of the 2 jacks on the board?
We don't know if they are next to each other, opposing each other, one on one side and one on the other,etc...
Could be as simple as this..

parallelrj45.PNG

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In addition to seeing how you intend to place them on the board we clearly need to know if they are through hole or surface mount type.. ;)
Post the part number/datasheet

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Is this for ethernet? If so, you really should keept the impedances correct, so using pairs from a CAT5 cable and short traces just to join the wires would be advisable.
Also if this is for 10/100Mbit ethernet then you likely need just four wires.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
In addition to seeing how you intend to place them on the board we clearly need to know if they are through hole or surface mount type.. ;)
Post the part number/datasheet
Sorry I don't have a part number But I have attached Photos of the socket. They are through hole mount I want to have them side by side

Attachments

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Is this for ethernet? If so, you really should keept the impedances correct, so using pairs from a CAT5 cable and short traces just to join the wires would be advisable.
Also if this is for 10/100Mbit ethernet then you likely need just four wires.
I am extending my Internet Cable to a router, My cable is 10 meters short so I just want to make a link with the sockets