Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope acting wierd

LarsHansen

Joined Mar 3, 2014
Im rather new to electronics, and Im really in trouble here.

Im have a bit of a puzzle here, regarding my Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope. Im trying to adjust the probes but get a wierd result on ch 1. For both channels I use the same settings: Coupling = DC Bandwith limit = on Probe = 10x (Also 10x on the actual probe) Digital filter = OFF.

I use the squarewave on the scope as input for both channels, and I use the same (one) probe for both channels. Channel 2 gives me the expected squarewave with 3 volt signal. Channel 1 however gives me 1/5 = 600 mV and the signal is noway near a squarewave. Se attached photos.

Please give me your advice. If I can assist you with further information, then please feel free to comment regarding this.

Thanks in advance.
20160830_212126[1].jpg 20160830_215207[1].jpg

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am not familiar with your scope. By looking at the photos, it appears to me that you don't have the proper settings for a comparison. I see a couple of setup differences.

In the first photo, you only have an input at cur-b. But in the second photo, you have both inputs. Also, in both photos, bottom right, cur-b is selected, if that means anything.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok, why does the cur at top of screen in top photo show an input on cur-b and no input at cur-a, but in bottom photo shows two inputs?

Just curious. I have been tempted to buy one.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you are just moving the probe from input A to input B without changing anything else then it would seem you have a problem with your oscilloscope.
Note: If you take pictures without the flash the screen will show up much better.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Is channel 1 AC coupled?

EDIT: I see that it is DC coupled. What did you measure on chan 1 that could have damaged the input?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
It appears to me that you have a problem with channel one.

Question - Does this symptom happen on all scale settings?

Regardless, your scope needs repair. Please keep us informed.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Compare the channels with AC coupling selected.
Channel 2, same square wave, different DC level.
Channel 1 ??
I suspect that this problem is between the input socket and the Y-amplifier - Coupling switch/attenuator/compensation - possibly damaged by overload but other causes are possible.
What do you get on channel 1 if you use AC coupling? If it is significantly different when using AC coupling then the problem is in the coupling switch circuitry.

Do you plan on repairing this yourself or just confirming that the scope is faulty (it is)?