Ribbon Cable Repairing.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
See the pic.

Ribbon.jpg
I have carbon and even silver marker pens
My issue is getting the insulation off. When I scrape the insulation the conductor is coming off too. I cannot get any connection with the silver as there is insulation on both sides, and scraping scrapes off the conductor too.
How do I peel off the insulation leaving the trace ?
Any magic method or chemical to do this ?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
just use some magnet wire and lay it on with silicon RTV. you will waste to much valuable time and the repair may not stay repaired.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
What if you used some Acetone to try to dissolve the insulation? Perhaps a small piece of cotton with Acetone and some gentle rubbing will do magic for you?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I suspect that plastic is not soluble in acetone, but that may still be worth a try.

I think your best bet is to find a crimp fitting, like has already been used at the connector end, and attach it above the break. Then using crimp or solder bridge the break. That is, consider crimping whatever you plan to bridge the gap with under the new fitting and on top of the insulation. Then solder the other end carefully to the original fitting. I have even peeled the copper off a blank PCB and cut it into suitable strips.

John

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Have you tried melting the insulation from the cable with a soldering iron? Use a small piece of foil to protect the tip. Draw a line on (or fold and unfold) the foil as a guide for the conductor in the cable. Place the tip on either side of the section to be repaired. Once a hole is melted, fine sandpaper can be used to clean it up. Then solder magnet wire to the conductor, bridging the repair site. As suggested, some silicon can be used to strengthen the repair (tape?).

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I thought about making a little hole using a needle and apply silver.
Keep you guys posted.

By the way connector end is carbon coated. It's the carbon that went for a walk and never came back. The lower line is gone. I scraped it too much trying to see if there is any connection. And it got worse

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
What about using needles or push pins to bridge the contacts .. Like push the pin or needle between the 2 plastic halves in the silver tracks to bridge the broken areas..Also what about using a sharp X-acto blade and out the layers or try to separate them ...Sorry just throwing ideas out there trying to help..