Rheostats & Potentiometers

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Rheostat 1.jpg rheostat 2.jpg Some time ago, the Packrat snagged some older electronic gear from the local recycler... long story

Among the " treasures " were a few larger {ruler} Clarostat pots, or wirewound rheostats may be more accurate. Being the eternal Novice, I was searching google for old Claro units, to little avail.

I opened one up gingerly, and noted the wirewound resistance element, and wondered if anyone might know the wattage of something like this...

This is much larger than some of the 2 watt units with a carbon element in my rat collection, ... so I was thinking at least 5 watts ?? the numbers on the can... top to bottom...11-36, 7.5K ohm, 140-6831

What say Y'all ??

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Hi Strantor...
I have a few of these... although used, they appear in good shape... I have been toying with designs to build these using fire-clay, epoxy, and NiChrome windings... coil spacing remains a stumbling block, prior to final coating of epoxy insulation...

Will likely use "Corona Dope " for insulation, tho I need to hi-pot materials to know which will stand the stress...

Last edited: