RF transmission power ratings question

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I have a wireless router that has the option to adjust the transmission power from .025 - .5w. I am wondering how this power is rated and tested and if it can be as different as a 1watt tube amp and a 1 watt solid state amp as I know there is a very large difference in what would be heard with the 2 1watt amplifiers.

The reason I'm asking is that the routers obviously use a solid state device but when RF power transmission laws were created I suspect that most were of the tube variety (if you know better, please correct me).

So what I am wondering is if the transmission of RF waves from a tube source would be greater than that from the same "rated" power of a solid state device.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I have a wireless router that has the option to adjust the transmission power from .025 - .5w. I am wondering how this power is rated and tested and if it can be as different as a 1watt tube amp and a 1 watt solid state amp as I know there is a very large difference in what would be heard with the 2 1watt amplifiers.

The reason I'm asking is that the routers obviously use a solid state device but when RF power transmission laws were created I suspect that most were of the tube variety (if you know better, please correct me).

So what I am wondering is if the transmission of RF waves from a tube source would be greater than that from the same "rated" power of a solid state device.
Don't confuse device power with radiated power. The ratings are for radiated power, and for the same antenna configuration at the same frequency, 1W radiated from a tube amp should be the exact same amount of power as 1W radiated from a transistor amplifier.

The power consumption of the amplifiers themselves, however, will be totally different.

You also get into directionality, and "effective radiated power" if an antenna configuration transmits a high power density in a small beam, but a small amount of power overall.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
...and if it can be as different as a 1watt tube amp and a 1 watt solid state amp as I know there is a very large difference in what would be heard with the 2 1watt amplifiers.
What you believe is incorrect. A 1 watt from a tube amp and a 1 watt from a SS amp output the same power - 1 watt. Harmonics may be different from the two amps, but power is power, regardless of the way it is generated.