RF - High Frequency Issues in Design/Implementation

Gerardo Sanchez

Joined Feb 14, 2017
Hello!

I'm new to the world of RF! I had a pretty basic question. So I'm currently building (or trying) a Radar system using some off-the-shelf components, two coffee tin can (acting as my antennas) and a teensy for ADC, and MATLAB to process the teensy data. So I'm currently building and testing using 2.5GHz components. But I was just wondering: what are some issues that you run into when you use higher frequency like say 20-30GHz? I know power becomes an issues - components will need more power to operate at higher frequencies - which also creates a cost issue for components that can take higher frequency. But what other issues in RF design and implementation come about with using higher frequencies?

Any discussion/feedback is much appreciated!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think the two biggest impediments to successful High Frequency Design are lack of intuitive knowledge about the physics involved and the utter lack of low cost and/or free design tools. A basic piece of test equipment, the VNA, can cost as much as a starter home. Not many hobbyists have that kind of scratch in their hip pockets.

Gerardo Sanchez

Joined Feb 14, 2017
I think the two biggest impediments to successful High Frequency Design are lack of intuitive knowledge about the physics involved and the utter lack of low cost and/or free design tools. A basic piece of test equipment, the VNA, can cost as much as a starter home. Not many hobbyists have that kind of scratch in their hip pockets.
I see, cost is a huge factor. Would you say there would also be issues with noise? Bigger frequency = more noise?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I see, cost is a huge factor. Would you say there would also be issues with noise? Bigger frequency = more noise?
Yes and no. If you spend time listening you will generally find less atmospheric noise at higher frequencies. Temperature becomes an issue and so hams often put their gear in a cooler.