Reversing a Cap Start/Cap Run Motor

neddyboy

Joined Jun 5, 2020
Hello all. I am trying to repurpose a Century 3/4HP CS/CR motor, and to do so, I need to reverse the rotation. I understand the idea behind this modification, and I've been doing audio electronics for decades, but my old brain can't seem to grasp this. I know I need to reverse the starter coil, but I can't for the life of me figure out which wires connect to the starter. So far I've blown a breaker and killed the starter capacitor. I've attached the parts diagram from the manufacturer. Would some motor genius out there be willing to look at it and offer me some ideas? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The link does not work for me.
OK it, it may be designed for one direction, you need to locate either the start winding or run winding pair, if these are connected internally for uni directional use, , you may have a problem,
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It does appear to be internally connected, you need to access the four winding conductors, for the start and run winding.
Max.

neddyboy

Joined Jun 5, 2020
Internally meaning what? Inside the stator? I did pull it out, but the leads are buried. I couldn't pick out the leads for the starter coil. Can you tell from the drawing which wires need to be swapped?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks like the Purple, Black White are the three that go to the run and field coils, with the other ends of each connected internally, this is generally done on a motor that is not intended to be reversed, pump etc.
If this is the case, then it may be difficult to reverse the connections of either the run or start winding pair.
Max.

neddyboy

Joined Jun 5, 2020
Well craparoonie, that's unfortunate! I did wonder at my inability to run this down. Thanks so much for your interpretation Max. Looks like I'm rebuilding a plywood base!