Reverse engineer a capacitive iTouch dimmer switch.

PFFT

Joined Dec 2, 2022
I was fixing to hack and integrate one of these switches into a little lamp I'm hoping to sell. I need RoHS paperwork which is pretty much impossible to get - the switches are made in China and they're quite ubiquitous but it's almost impossible to track down a manufacturer - not even via the sellers. Sure, the switch comes marked with CE and RoHS on the cover, but it's the paperwork that's the important bit. Quite annoying as in its current application the switch works brilliantly.

So I'm thinking of making my own version using components I can source that have relevant documentation but the main problem being that I'm an electronics dunce. The switch works like this:

• Works on 12-24VDC max 3A
  • Touch once - on/off
  • Continuous touch - fades up/down alternately
  • Switch remembers on/off and brightness level states when power is removed

Any open source circuits out there that you can point me in the direction of so I can start having a play..?

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

PFFT

Joined Dec 2, 2022
I found several examples on alibaba.com, like this one. Have you looked there?
Yep - it's where I bought a small batch of the switches I used in my prototype lamp - getting hold of the certificates is the issue - although the manufacturer that you pointed to does list a few CE certs. Have emailed them to see if they make an equivalent of the switch I've posted above. Thanks.