How to reverse engineer this mouse trap mechanism?

arpitagarwal82

Joined Jul 23, 2019
I was browsing through YouTube and landed on a video. It demonstrated the design of an auto resetting mouse trap.
Original video Link is here.

I understand that the motor is triggered by IR sensor. But I couldn't understand the way it works after that.
I have created a video which only shows the relevant bits. I also slowed down the demo to 1/10th of speed.

Can anyone help me to reverse engineer this mechanism?
I can use the similar mechanism in some of my diy project.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That looks like an over-complicated "walk the plank" or "tipping rodent trap." Very effective for chipmunks. Probably less so for mice, but no data on that. From ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Planky-B-H...hash=item4b685dde0d:m:m2qfSM2i-rsgCwPUiaxZqJQ

Various catapult versions have been presented here over the years too:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/rat-zapper.89806/page-3#post-1170309

And my favorite:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/we-have-a-rat-problem.155371/#post-1343180

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My eBay link shows $14, and that is for the double plank version. It is just something I grabbed without much effort. Single plank versions are less, and for chipmunks, you don't need anything but a piece of wood. They will reach for sunflower seeds (they float) and fall into a 5 gallon pail. The problem is rats. They are very smart compared to chipmunks and mice and very suspicious.

arpitagarwal82

Joined Jul 23, 2019
What part don't you understand? If that was your own video it seems like you have one of the traps so it should be simple to figure it out.
Not my own video. I just created a video by cutting the useful bits from original video.
I have built a mental picture of mechanical part of the mechanism. But I couldn't figure out how to make that motor to take exactly 1 rotation each time the circuit is triggered by IR sensor.
Is there a way to wire the motor in such a way so that it takes exactly 1 rotation each time?

@jpanhalt Thanks for the thread link you provided. I am going through it.

Yes there is non electronic version of that trap. It is very popular.
But i have some big rats to catch and they are very smart. Seems like they do not go over anything wobbly. So I am trying to provide them a rock solid plank and then dunk them using electronics :)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
But I couldn't figure out how to make that motor to take exactly 1 rotation each time
Can't find a good picture of one, but an old timey punch press used a single revolution "clutch". Basically a disc with a notch, and then a "dog" or plunger that dropped into the notch after each revolution.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Are the walls on the side to blind the PIR to stuff happening in the room?
Might the rodent be able to grab the walls on the way down?

I saw that mousetrap before and was also perversely fascinated by the design.
The design improvements I would add would be:

1) Battery-powered.

2) Capacitive rodent sensing.
Make the sensor a strip of PCB with electrodes on it embedded inside the plank itself.
The micro could sleep most of the time, saving power, wake every 300 ms to read the sensor.

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
Hi sensacell,
This was a prototype, I too was intrigued by the original. It is battery operated (3*AA). In the picture, the PIR has been removed for a different project. The walls, near one with holes is for the PIR, the other one is just to keep them on the plank. It was tested with a warm potato. Its untested, regards mice. Since I adopted a tiger (£3 a month) we've not had a mouse problem. The only downside is, we are afraid to go out after dark.

Sacad

Joined Nov 10, 2020
I was browsing through YouTube and landed on a video. It demonstrated the design of an auto resetting mouse trap.
Original video Link is here.

I understand that the motor is triggered by IR sensor. But I couldn't understand the way it works after that.
I have created a video which only shows the relevant bits. I also slowed down the demo to 1/10th of speed.

Can anyone help me to reverse engineer this mechanism?
I can use the similar mechanism in some of my diy project.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Have you solved the questions you had and able to build one yet?