Reverse Conduction operation of SiC MOSFET

alison_941

Joined Dec 21, 2022
Good Day,
I have to calculate the Conduction losses of SiC MOSFET and how I am calculating total losses is by segregating the losses into three categories includes, Forward Conduction loss of MOSFET, Reverse Conduction Loss of MOSFET and Body Diode Reverse Conduction Losses. I am unable to understand the phenomenon of reverse conduction operation of MOSFET. Can anyone please explain or refer some good literature considering me as an beginner with very basic knowledge.
Thanks

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Homework help has special rules on AAC and so is restricted to the Homework Help forum. I have moved your post.

Members can help you with your attempts to solve the problem based on what you have done, but they will not be able to provide unique solutions. Sometimes you will get broad hints about where to look.

Again, welcome. Glad you joined us.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I am unable to understand the phenomenon of reverse conduction operation of MOSFET.
In general a MOSFET will conduct equally well in both directions when biased on.
Under those conditions, the source and drain are interchangeable.
The difference is that, when off, there is a parasitic substrate diode from drain to source, that limits which direction the MOSFET can block voltage.

alison_941

Joined Dec 21, 2022
In general a MOSFET will conduct equally well in both directions when biased on.
Under those conditions, the source and drain are interchangeable.
The difference is that, when off, there is a parasitic substrate diode from drain to source, that limits which direction the MOSFET can block voltage.
ok Thanks. Does channel resistance between Drain to source remains same as forward conduction during reverse conduction?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
SiC MOSFETs have a body diode that acts like this.
It is hard to build a circuit that drives the Gate any time there is reverse current. I have not seen it done much.

1672701933545.png

alison_941

Joined Dec 21, 2022
SiC MOSFETs have a body diode that acts like this.
It is hard to build a circuit that drives the Gate any time there is reverse current. I have not seen it done much.

View attachment 284351
Thank you for this information.
So what i understood, if VDS is positively biased with VGS=18V, then Its forward Conduction, if VDS is negatively biased with VGS=18V, then Its reverse Conduction and when Vgs=0V/-5V then body diode will conduct. Is that right?