Retrofitting memory seat possible?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Interesting question. I would say it's possible if you want to place enough time, effort and cost into it. My truck has I think six way seats with memory. I am the only one who drives it so I never use the feature. A few times on long trips my wife may drive a little and she just manually puts the seat where she wants it when we change drivers. On a long trip and if I am alone, like an 8 or 10 hour drive I may change my seat a little on the fly.

Anyway I will say yes it is likely possible but you need to ask yourself how much you want or need it. The seat will need to know where it is at in any of maybe six positions and that will require sensors. Then you also need a memory device to keep the data so you add a uC. Things can get complicated when seat position memory is an add on rather than factory standard equipment.

Just my take....
Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
how much pain in the neck is it to do, lets say i just need it to remember 2 positions basically all i care about
My guess is a large pain in the neck. The seat needs to know where it is and in the case of a 6 way seat for example that means using six sensors. You run the seat to where you want it and store the data. As to sensors You could likely affix a type of LVDT or similar. Then too you really likely would not need all six positions but things like travel horizontally would be a must. So sensors so the seat knows where it is at, then a uC (Micro-Controller) to store the data which will also need a way to retrieve the data and send it to the seat motors. Then a matter of writing all the code.

That is a little of how I see it anyway.

Ron