General Feedback Restriction on "Automotive Modifications"?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
First, I apologize for not initially reading the Terms of Service (ToS) and posting about a fairly benign car stereo related project of mine. I think it's fair to say that most people don't read the terms on anything these days because it's mostly legal jargon... but obviously that's no excuse.

I understand that this forum has banned automotive modifications in all forms under the excuse that there are liability and safety concerns, potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level, or too many dumb questions. But can't someone cause damage or injury just as well with electronics in general? Are there not equally dumb questions regarding electronics in general? Also, doesn't the disclaimer in the ToS mention not being liable for any wrong doing? Is there a legal precedent for this restriction or is it just paranoia/frustration?

Perhaps the ban on "automotive modifications" is too broad and more restrictive than it should be for an electronics forum that was created for the open sharing of knowledge and ideas. There are electronics in automobiles too and many interesting, and safe, things can be done with them or added to them. It's not like building a nuclear reactor. If you must ban something, why not differentiate between simple mods to vehicle lighting, sound, or lesser electrical systems, and the more risky (and mostly out of scope) mods to the engine, drive-train, structure, or major electrical systems?

I'm baffled.
Suppose that I wanted to start a business on a property in a certain town. If the property was zoned residentially, I wouldn't be granted a business license by the town. It wouldn't be of much use for me to complain to the town council, and I would then have to look for another property and possibly another town. So to carry the analogy through, AAC is "zoned" differently then some other forums, so you need to ask automotive questions somewhere else (like Electro-Tech-Online.com that several of us mentioned).

@Ser Brynden: I noticed that you did follow our advice and asked your question there. You're certainly welcome to ask other questions here on this forum!

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I see I've come to the wrong place. I don't appreciate the tone I'm receiving and not one person has offered an answer to my questions. I'm basically being told to, "shut-up and color or go somewhere else." How about at least answering the question: Doesn't the disclaimer in the ToS cover not being liable for any wrong doing? Just be honest and tell me that auto mods are restricted because you are too lazy or frustrated dealing with dumb questions, and those of us with intelligent/valuable ideas have to suffer for it. Don't use the cop-out that it is for safety and liability reasons.

If you don't like it then start your own site. Rules and behavior can be set by you. Then you will need to respond to the complaints of the rules you set or lack there of.

Perhaps you need to explain to us why you just can't accept the rules as they are?

This is probably the nicest group of people I have seen on any forum. If you "don't like the tone" then you sure have not been around the internet much or have ab awfully thin skin.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012