Restoring internet connection...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi. Could you explain how it works ?
A visitor wants to use my internet at home, plugs the ethernet RJ45 to a brought Windows machine but the modem needs to cycle power for that machine to access internet.
Meanwhile, that power cycling makes my Linux machine to lose the internet it had. The network shows connected, but no internet.
-This has nothing to do with WiFi, I have no WiFi ! - What does cycling power to the modem does ? Assigns some 'new' handshaking protocol ?
Sometimes I can just turn off ethernet and turn on againg to gain access. This is at the network control on the Linux machine. Unplugging the LAN RJ45 and plugging it back in does not restore internet.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sound like a lease issue. DHCP issues IP addresses to a specific MAC (Ethernet hardware address). These can have a time period where only that MAC can receive that IP address for X period of time if it thinks that machine is still online. If the modem maintains the time database for IP addresses, rebooting it most likely resets all MAC to IP assignments timeouts to zero.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hi. Could you explain how it works ?
A visitor wants to use my internet at home, plugs the ethernet RJ45 to a brought Windows machine but the modem needs to cycle power for that machine to access internet.
Meanwhile, that power cycling makes my Linux machine to lose the internet it had. The network shows connected, but no internet.
-This has nothing to do with WiFi, I have no WiFi ! - What does cycling power to the modem does ? Assigns some 'new' handshaking protocol ?
Sometimes I can just turn off ethernet and turn on againg to gain access. This is at the network control on the Linux machine. Unplugging the LAN RJ45 and plugging it back in does not restore internet.
Try using connect using WPS which may not connect but it restores available connections thus, you can then connect to the address re-initialized.

kv