Restoration - Old Sears 12V/10A battery charger - need assistance

TheVagrant

Joined May 7, 2020
Friend lent me his battery charger, and while it worked, i realized it was painfully old. So I'm going to try and clean it up for him. It's been 30 years since digging into the component level of anything and worked in military avionics for 27+ years.

The meter didn't work while using it because the capacitor had broken free.

My intentions:
*replace power cable​
*replace pos/neg clamp cable​
*replace capacitor​
*replace meter if i can't get it to work​
*install power switch and a reset circuit breaker​
* clean and repaint​

My Request:
1. Need help identifying the capacitor.
2. Looking to install an illuminated power switch to the front with breaker/fuse on the back. I've never had to mod anything like this, so I need to know the way of wiring this properly.
3. a silver cased component, printed on side "12V 20A 440" with one post labeled 'BAT'. Sits inline with the meter and charging cable. Don't know if this is some sort of internal breaker?

20200507_165311.jpg20200507_172025.jpg20200507_173629.jpg20200507_173711.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
My Request:
1. Need help identifying the capacitor.
2. Looking to install an illuminated power switch to the front with breaker/fuse on the back. I've never had to mod anything like this, so I need to know the way of wiring this properly.
3. a silver cased component, printed on side "12V 20A 440" with one post labeled 'BAT'. Sits inline with the meter and charging cable. Don't know if this is some sort of internal breaker?
Question 1. That is a varistor, not a capacitor: https://uk.farnell.com/littelfuse/v33za1p/varistor-1-2j-20vac/dp/1057164
Question 2. There are lots of illuminated power switches available. Wire it in series with the live power line, before the fuse. Make sure it is rated for your line voltage (120V?) with a current rating of at least 2 amps. Use a bulkhead style fuseholder and a 2 amp quick blow fuse.
Question 3. That is probably the rectifier.
Regards,
Keith