Resistors in Parallel Questions

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ive done that by using I X R

I1 200A X 0.012 Ohms I get 2.4
I2 160A X 0.015 Ohms I get 2.4
I3 300A X 0.008 Ohms I get 2.4

I have tried drawing a schematic, but its not helped with the second question, so I will leave that for now, and ask the tutor for advice.
But you didn’t try what WBahn had suggested. What is the equivalent resistance of 0.012Ω, 0.015Ω and 0.008Ω in parallel?

With that equivalent resistance, what is the current drawn from a 2.4VDC source?

rdb1

Joined Feb 6, 2019
But you didn’t try what WBahn had suggested. What is the equivalent resistance of 0.012Ω, 0.015Ω and 0.008Ω in parallel?

With that equivalent resistance, what is the current drawn from a 2.4VDC source?
Do you mean the Resistance Total? which is 275.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
275 what? Volts, Amps, Ohms or Ferbles? Might as well be the last.

Several times you have been admonished to use a reasonable test. If all resistances are less than 0.02Ω, does an answer of 275 Ferbles make sense?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ive done that by using I X R

I1 200A X 0.012 Ohms I get 2.4
I2 160A X 0.015 Ohms I get 2.4
I3 300A X 0.008 Ohms I get 2.4

I have tried drawing a schematic, but its not helped with the second question, so I will leave that for now, and ask the tutor for advice.
But what do you get for the effective resistance of the three resistors?

We know that multiplying the current by the resistance will yield 2.4 V because that's how we got the current values in the first place. While it does provide some utility as a check against fumble-fingered calculations, finding the equivalent resistance and using that and the 2.4 V to show that you get the same 660 A is a much better one.

Go ahead and draw the schematic and answer the second question for THAT schematic. Basically, it's just asking for the current in each wire attached to each node. It's not hard at all to solve, it's just that there are lot's of ways to connect the components and still have them all be in parallel.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do you mean the Resistance Total? which is 275.
I don't know how many times I have to say it or how many times you have to keep screwing up because you won't listen.

TRACK YOUR UNITS!

If you had bothered to do that, you would see that your 275 have units of 1/Ω and not Ω. That would have IMMEDIATELY told you that your answer was wrong.

But, no. You insist on ignoring units, making mistakes, and foregoing the opportunity to catch them and correct them.

If you were working for me and displayed this level of refusal to use the single most powerful error detection tool available to the engineer, I would have already fired you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It means that the the voltage across the circuit is the same as the supply voltage.
Is it?

You say that the equivalent resistance is 0.0036 Ω and that the total current is 660 A.

What is the current that flows from a 2.4 V supply into a 0.0036 Ω resistance?

Where's that additionl 6.66 A going?

rdb1

Joined Feb 6, 2019
I don't know how many times I have to say it or how many times you have to keep screwing up because you won't listen.

TRACK YOUR UNITS!

If you had bothered to do that, you would see that your 275 have units of 1/Ω and not Ω. That would have IMMEDIATELY told you that your answer was wrong.

But, no. You insist on ignoring units, making mistakes, and foregoing the opportunity to catch them and correct them.

If you were working for me and displayed this level of refusal to use the single most powerful error detection tool available to the engineer, I would have already fired you.
I know it’s silly errors. I will double check my workings out from now on.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I know it’s silly errors. I will double check my workings out from now on.
Don't just double check your workings. TRACK YOUR UNITS!

If you will just do that one thing, religiously, you will see your grades go through the roof.