Resistors, Capacitors, and Inductors

MBrock

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Resistors resist current and inductors resist a change in current (which explains why the method for combining resistors is the same as the one for inductors). Capacitors resist a change in voltage, thus explaining why the method for combining parallel/series capacitor is the same as the method for combining series/parallel resistors. I was wondering, is there any component that resists voltage itself, or at least a component that has the same method for combining multiple ones together as the one for combining capacitors? Thanks, in advance, for answering!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Resistors resist current and inductors resist a change in current (which explains why the method for combining resistors is the same as the one for inductors). Capacitors resist a change in voltage, thus explaining why the method for combining parallel/series capacitor is the same as the method for combining series/parallel resistors. I was wondering, is there any component that resists voltage itself, or at least a component that has the same method for combining multiple ones together as the one for combining capacitors? Thanks, in advance, for answering!
A theoretical perfect conductor 'resists' voltage. Infinite electrical conductivity acts as a perfect short.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I prefer to think of a resistor itself the component capable of "resisting voltage."

Heck, the name even says that.

Keep at this, understanding the basic components is how to start learning electronics. You can never know too much about resistors!

And welcome to the forums!