Single axis solar tracking system with only resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, LEDs, LDRs, op

Mert dmryrk

Joined Dec 9, 2017
We have to do a single axis solar tracking system but we can't use arduino, we can only use resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, LEDs, LDRs, op-amps,transistors and servo motors do not having encoder.. We should do this in 3 parts; sensing unit,control unit, angle-adjustment unit. The angles that they want is 30,90 and 150 degrees. We will use 3 ldr and compare the intensity of light for each panel and we have to get pwm signal but we don't have any idea about how we get pmw? What can we do? If you have any idea please share with me.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We have to do a single axis solar tracking system but we can't use arduino...
Why would you use an Arduino? All you need is a clock drive like used on telescopes. The position of the sun in the sky doesn't need to be sensed (although that's an option), it's easily predictable with exquisite accuracy.

Mert dmryrk

Joined Dec 9, 2017
Why would you use an Arduino? All you need is a clock drive like used on telescopes. The position of the sun in the sky doesn't need to be sensed (although that's an option), it's easily predictable with exquisite accuracy.

It is an school project and we cant use timer because teachers dont test our device with sun they use light like phone flash. I said arduino because i see lots of examples on the internet with it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure the objective of the assignment isn't to successfully track the sun. The objective of the project is to successfully design and built an electronic circuit within the given constraints to achieve an objective, which just happens to be tracking the sun. The objective is largely immaterial -- as is probably ultimate success. A good effort showing a reasonable engineering approach is probably worth most of the credit even if ultimately unsuccessful, especially is a good discussion of why success wasn't achieved is included.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
With the components you are allowed to use can you make a squarewave oscillator at the frequency you want the PWM waveform to be at?

Can you make a sawtooth generator that is slaved to the squarewave?

Given a voltage that indicates the duty cycle you want and a comparator circuit looking at this voltage and the sawtooth, can you see how you might make a PWM waveform?