Single Axis Joystick / Analog Rocker

Jim_cliff11

Joined Sep 5, 2015
Hi,

Can anyone recommend where to buy single axis joysticks from? Ideally, the small finger tip paddle joysticks which can only move in one axis and are spring centered? I suppose it could be classed as an analog rocker switch. Needs to have 5v input with a 2.5v centre and 0-5v total range.

I can only find the small 2 axis playstation thumb sticks which are too poorer quality for my application. I'm using one at the minute with the Y axis super glued solid. It works, but is far too sensitive.

Thanks

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Take the stick control box apart. You will see the two pots, with a lead that goes to the computer. Get a 1 uF non-polar capacitor and solder it between the pot take-off node and a ground point .... there will be one someplace.
Doing this should take some of the sensitivity out of the stick motion. ... Adjust the cap value as necessary ... assuming that you notice a difference ... maybe a little more capacitance.

Post a picture of the box if you have a problem.

Have you considered making one?

A pot is the obvious first suggestion but you probably will not have much travel so that could be noisy/inaccurate.

None contact solutions might include hall effect, magnet moving towards a sensor or perhaps a coil with a moving core, which would need a pulsed or AC feed. Basically a small adjustable transformer.

A quick google search suggests that there are plenty of small, some very small, force sensors available. Various accuracy and thus cost.
A coup,e of those on the base of a short inverted 'T' would constreign it to one axis, and respond to pressure as opposed to displacement.
Two sensors, or transformer tappings would be easiest to use in a wheatstone bridge arrangement with an opamp to give you a single ended output based on the comparitive values.

I know this isn't a solution but hope it gives you a few ideas.
Al

Jim_cliff11

Joined Sep 5, 2015
Been in touch with company in the first link, but they haven't got back to me yet.
Ideally I don't want to have to make one, mainly due to the time involved and reliability of the the switch.

DRC, I might give that ago for the time being.

Thanks,
Jim

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Been in touch with company in the first link, but they haven't got back to me yet.
Ideally I don't want to have to make one, mainly due to the time involved and reliability of the the switch.

DRC, I might give that ago for the time being.

Thanks,
Jim
It's a guess . . The cap should remove some of the higher frequency components, if that's what is causing the problem. Another thing that improves potentiometer action is to get a can of electrical contact cleaner, and give it a thorough spray down. What that does is remove moisture and contaminants ... which can cause problems.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's a guess . . The cap should remove some of the higher frequency components, if that's what is causing the problem. Another thing that improves potentiometer action is to get a can of electrical contact cleaner, and give it a thorough spray down. What that does is remove moisture and contaminants ... which can cause problems.
It can also leave a nasty film that could make things worse... just make sure that you use the right type of cleaner.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
It can also leave a nasty film that could make things worse... just make sure that you use the right type of cleaner.
... There are two types of electronic contact cleaner available. One dissolves plastic ... maybe what you are referring to as 'leaves a film'. The other will say 'Plastic Safe' on the label ... probably the better choice.