Resistor?

ummidk

Joined Apr 4, 2024
I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to fine electronics. I have a scissor life that we use for construction here in Texas.. it's a 1993 model..so darn near vintage. the component in the attached picture is smoked.. it reads "8d 23 100-1".. any idea what this is or a modern equivalent I can order and get back to business?. thanks in advance

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Looks like it is probably a diode. Can't tell which kind, but it is pretty likely that there will be another one just like it nearby (not guaranteed, by any means).

If it is a diode, hopefully you took note of the orientation when you removed it (which side the silver band -- which is why I suspect it is a diode -- on the end was facing), because the replacement must be installed in the same orientation.

ummidk

Joined Apr 4, 2024
Looks like it is probably a diode. Can't tell which kind, but it is pretty likely that there will be another one just like it nearby (not guaranteed, by any means).

If it is a diode, hopefully you took note of the orientation when you removed it (which side the silver band -- which is why I suspect it is a diode -- on the end was facing), because the replacement must be installed in the same orientation.
there is an entire "bank of them".. and they are mostly different for different functions.. it's my understanding that each level of current?.. actuated different functions.. I jumped it with a 12 gauge wire and its of course.. every function leads to one operation (lift going up). glad it's simple in terms of era.. but frustrated this little part is not readily available.. my first thought was radio shack.. but alas...

ummidk

Joined Apr 4, 2024
I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to fine electronics. I have a scissor life that we use for construction here in Texas.. it's a 1993 model..so darn near vintage. the component in the attached picture is smoked.. it reads "8d 23 100-1".. any idea what this is or a modern equivalent I can order and get back to business?. thanks in advance
Screenshot_20240404_205002_Gallery.jpg

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
there is an entire "bank of them".. and they are mostly different for different functions.. it's my understanding that each level of current?.. actuated different functions.. I jumped it with a 12 gauge wire and its of course.. every function leads to one operation (lift going up). glad it's simple in terms of era.. but frustrated this little part is not readily available.. my first thought was radio shack.. but alas...
You may be able to find maintenance manuals for the lift on line which might include schematics and even parts list. Even the schematics might help use suggest possible replacements (as well as determine the needed orientation).

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
As I recall from back in the 70's & 80's, the scissor lift's I'm familiar with used relays to control up and down, forward and revers and steering. The relay carried all the weight of running the hydraulic motor. Solenoids controlled the direction of oil flow for those afore mentioned functions. The diode 'LOOKS LIKE' a common 1N400X type. But that's no guarantee. If you can piece together the diode to get an exact part number from it, one we can be sure is correct, we can then cross reference a suitable replacement.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Also, I'm not real keen on screw terminal mounting an electronic component without giving it stress relief.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 11.21.37 AM.png
Something like this would be better:
[edit] OK here are examples of stress relief methods. There are others as well. But you should get the general idea.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 11.32.46 AM.png
Without stress relief you can pull the component apart simply by tightening the screw. Which I bet is what happened. This doesn't look like a diode that exploded. But I wouldn't try a straight jumper as you can be causing harmful current to stress other components, the very components the diode is meant to protect from reverse current. FYI (not assuming you don't already know this - but safer than sorrier is better) A diode is a one way device. Current can only flow one way through the diode. There ARE exceptions to that but in general that's all a diode does. I'm sure someone will lambast me for not covering other types of diodes. But a general diode is just a one way electric gate. Current flows forward and blocks reverse current.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, a scissor LIFT. Got it. and I did not see the similar parts in any of the pictures. I suggest a six amp diode rated at least 200 volts. And certainly the comment about installation is correct.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Gotta say, and I know this might seem unhelpful, but get a new lift, you're dealing with safety of people here and a poorly made repair to something like this might be a liability waiting to happen. That device is like over thirty years old too. If this is just for you, for personal use with no possible impact on other workers then fine, but that's not clear so I'm erring on the side of caution.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Unfortunately NONE of the pictures in post #4 shows much detail of the area where the diodes are located. I see an angled view of one device in one photo, and that looks like a diode.
Is this a battery powered lift? or strictly mains powered? THat makes a difference as well, regarding the required diode ratings.

AND one comment aimed at AK, which is that it must be terrible to live ones life chained to fear. Not being willing to repair anything is a horrible handicap. As is assuming that nobody possesses the skills to do a correct repair. That is a nasty insult to a whole lot of people who understand very well what they are doing.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a scissor life that we use for construction here in Texas.. it's a 1993 model..so darn near vintage.
Was the unit purchased by the Co. you work for.?
The reason I ask, is very often a schematic of the unit accompanied the Inst. manual.
Often buried away in some maintenance draw!
Failing the above, is the Co. still around that may have the schematic/manual.?
I have gone this route quite a few times, it can be surprising what is still out there in the way of info. :cool: