Resistor Value

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
And when measuring it with ohmmeter it is open? Unfortunately, I am colorblind so someone else will have to try and interpret the colors for it. Also, Welcome to AAC! From the shape, it could also be an inductor?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I agree that it looks like orange-orange-gold-gold-green.

That means that the third stripe is NOT a value band, so it is a multiplier and the second gold band is the tolerance band. That means that the green band indicates something else. One possibility is the temperature coefficient (on milspec resistors another possibility is the reliability rating).

In that case, it would be a 3.3 Ω 5% resistor with 20 ppm/°C temperature coefficient.

There are a number of different coding schemes for 5-band (and more) resistors since these resistors tend to be tailored for specific characteristics.

What was this resistor used in and where was it used in the circuit?

That can give a clue as to what might be reasonable.

Saad051989

Joined Jun 28, 2020
And when measuring it with ohmmeter it is open? Unfortunately, I am colorblind so someone else will have to try and interpret the colors for it. Also, Welcome to AAC! From the shape, it could also be an inductor?
Well thank you so much for helping me out. Yes it is open and circuit from where i unmount it also shows some signs of burning. it is from 1.2 volts battery charge circuit. i am attaching a circuit diagram. It is R3 from circuit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Saad051989

Joined Jun 28, 2020
I agree that it looks like orange-orange-gold-gold-green.

That means that the third stripe is NOT a value band, so it is a multiplier and the second gold band is the tolerance band. That means that the green band indicates something else. One possibility is the temperature coefficient (on milspec resistors another possibility is the reliability rating).

In that case, it would be a 3.3 Ω 5% resistor with 20 ppm/°C temperature coefficient.

There are a number of different coding schemes for 5-band (and more) resistors since these resistors tend to be tailored for specific characteristics.

What was this resistor used in and where was it used in the circuit?

That can give a clue as to what might be reasonable.
It is from a 1.2 volt battery charging cct.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The fact that its refdes is "R3" almost guarantees that it is a resistor. It looks like it is meant to limit the charging current when the switch is OFF and, combined with the diode, perhaps is primarily intended to keep the battery from self-discharging below about 0.6 V. What kind of rechargeable battery does this use? The main resistor, for both charging and running the motor, when the unit is plugged in and the switch is on appears to be the much higher power 0.24 Ω resistor.

My guess is that the manufacturer got a bulk deal on surplus 20 ppm/°C resistors and is just using them.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That doesn't work out.

What color are you claiming the middle band is? It can't be gold, since that chart doesn't allow a gold band in that position. You can't just ignore the middle band because it is inconvenient. The only two reasonable possibilities are then yellow or orange. With three value bands and a multiplier of 0.1 Ω, that means that it is either 33.3 Ω or 33.4 Ω. However, if it's a 0.5% tolerance resistor, then it would fall in the E192 standard values family, but the only two standard values that start with 33 are 332 and 336, so orange-orange-red or orange-orange-blue.

Saad051989

Joined Jun 28, 2020
The fact that it's refdes is "R3" almost guarantees that it is a resistor. It looks like it is meant to limit the charging current when the switch is OFF and, combined with the diode, perhaps is primarily intended to keep the battery from self-discharging below about 0.6 V. What kind of rechargeable battery does this use? The main resistor, for both charging and running the motor, when the unit is plugged in and the switch is on appears to be the much higher power 0.24 Ω resistor.

My guess is that the manufacturer got a bulk deal on surplus 20 ppm/°C resistors and is just using them.
It is using nickel-metal hydride battery cell. So i can use 3.3Ω resister w/o temperature coefficient?

Saad051989

Joined Jun 28, 2020
Why would you go for that? It sure looks like there is definitely a middle band, though it appears damaged. If the part was heat-stressed, that middle part would be likely to have gotten the hottest.
Yeah it was accidentally plugged in to 220V AC connector.

Saad051989

Joined Jun 28, 2020
I can't imagine that the temperature coefficient is a concern for this application.

What is the capacity of the battery being used?
1.2V 700-1100mah battery. R3 and RRQ from the circuit are burnt out and need to be replaced.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I don't think it is a 5 band. Magnified it as I thought there was a band on the far right and it is a shadow? Org, Org, then a wider band with a black blowout spot, then Gold? Maybe a better pic without the glare?