Resistor Replacement help needed!

tpandries

Joined May 1, 2015
I was wondering whether these two resistors are the same or not and are interchangeable. The coloring is hard to tell on the one on the board but I believe it to be brown black orange gold. I know the size is different but I didn't think that really made a difference. Thank you and all help is greatly appreciated! 2015-05-01 03.08.53.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
i think R4 will be a 100 ohms resistor,( brown,black,brown) possibly used to feed ZD1 or ZD2, check them also for shorting.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Take a photo of both sides of the board so we can see what that resistor does.

If you want a good guess, I would say it is 100R. Looks brown, black. Brown to me.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
When I encounter a discolored resistor, sometimes I can get a clue by comparing the first band to the third. If the first band is brown, then the 3rd looks to be a different shade. The resistor might be 1k. It doesn't look like the resistor is so burned that it changed value signficantly. I'd remove it (need to do that, anyway), and measure with an ohmmeter.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
When I encounter a discolored resistor, sometimes I can get a clue by comparing the first band to the third. If the first band is brown, then the 3rd looks to be a different shade. The resistor might be 1k. It doesn't look like the resistor is so burned that it changed value signficantly. I'd remove it (need to do that, anyway), and measure with an ohmmeter.
And looking at it now with a different monitor, it could be red -- not brown -- and therefore 1K. A better photo would help.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Agree with Roderick. Since first band in brown, compare it with the third band.
On my laptop monitor, they looked exactly alike. On my expensive 24" monitor at my office, the third band definitely looks more red than brown. But definitely not orange.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
i think R4 will be a 100 ohms resistor,( brown,black,brown) possibly used to feed ZD1 or ZD2, check them also for shorting.
Its possible for red. orange - and even sometimes yellow bands to look brown or black after scorching.

Always worth measuring the old one on the offchance it looks worse than it is.

As others point out - something else most likely caused that; so look for a short before burning up a replacement.