Resistor Question, variable speed controller

DANger-is

Joined Nov 3, 2021
I have a variable speed controller with a 500K potentiometer driving a DC 180v motor. The motor has an RPM of 4000 but I really only want to use a range of 50-400RPM. When using the potentiometer I'm finding it is overly sensitive and isn't giving me the control over the lower RPM that I need. Would adding a fixed resistor across the Pot reduce the range of RPM? If so what value resistor should I start experimenting with and which wires does it need to intersect?

DANger-is

Joined Nov 3, 2021
If 500k produces the slowest speed you want with enough torque, replace the pot with 47k or 100k and add a 470k resistor in series with it.
The motor doesn't start up until I've turned the Pot about 20%. Then there is very little range between 0-400RPM, I only need to turn the Pot maybe 5% to go from0-400rpm. Ideally I would like to be able to set it to 50,100,150... etc. I won't really need anything above 400RPM. A gear reduction would be ideal but I'm hoping I can fix the issue through the Pot, I won't know about the torque until I load it up.