resistor identification

jaybefr

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Showing my ignorance here but I saw a resistor smoking in an amplifier and I am about to replace it and the adjacent transistor. I looked up the resistor on the digikey website by the colour of the bands and ordered what I thought was the same thing but without an image. What I have received is much bigger than the burnt out one it's replacing. I just wonder if it would do the same job and if I should just use it anyway? Thanks in advance.
IMG_7470.jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 15.01.36.png IMG_7499.jpg

JHague

Joined Apr 18, 2017
It looks to me as though you've been sent the wrong thing, as the markings suggest that this is a 0.33 ohm resistor, not the 330 ohm one that you were looking for. I would get a replacment, as you wont be able to use the one that you've been sent.

John

jaybefr

Joined Aug 21, 2017
It looks to me as though you've been sent the wrong thing, as the markings suggest that this is a 0.33 ohm resistor, not the 330 ohm one that you were looking for. I would get a replacment, as you wont be able to use the one that you've been sent.

John
Thanks. I'm not only ignorant but also stupid! I just noticed after I posted that it said 0.33. I have located another one that looks the same with the same markings so hopefully that should do it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have located another one that looks the same with the same markings so hopefully that should do it.
It looks more like a 33uH 10% molded inductor to me... I read the color bands as orange-orange-black-silver. Could even be brown instead of orange.

It would be unusual to find a 10% tolerance carbon film resistor.

EDIT: It would probably be a good idea for you to determine why the component smoked before replacing it. Otherwise, you could end up replacing it again.

Last edited:
33 + 0 zeros 5% would make it 33 ohms. The grey body would likely make it metal oxide. Probbably 1/2 W.
There is likely another one in the circuit too.
A Metal Oxide resistor is often used as a "fuse". They tend to open completely.

e.g. Mouser.com p/n 660-MOS1/2CT52R330J Check body dimensions.

Carbon resistors tend to increase in value and metal film resistors "puddle" when they get overheated.