Research Paper Ideas Needed

joepdon

Joined Jan 19, 2016
I am in need of ideas for a research paper. Ideas need to be in depth enough to allow for 8 pages of single spaced content. This is for a technical writing class, but I am in the EE program and have to write on a topic related to my major. Keep in mind this is a college research paper, so I will not be conducting any actual experiments or projects myself.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So you are in an EE program and you can't think of one single thing in EE that might interest you enough to look into it enough to write an eight-page paper on it?

Perhaps EE isn't your thing.

We can't possibly know what interests you, so how can we offer up any meaningful ideas give such a lack of specificity.

Give some thought to what kinds of EE "stuff" you might like to work on some day and then start finding out information about that niche of EE. That should provide all the material you need for a paper -- in fact you will probably need to narrow it down quite a bit to be able to do it justice.

joepdon

Joined Jan 19, 2016
Sorry about my lack of specificity, my exposure to the electrical engineering world and the problems in it has been to the extent of the classes I have taken. I am working toward my EE degree so I can work in the field of renewable energy in one form or the other, but I am having difficulties finding somewhat technical topics related by the two as soon as I search for them. A push in that direction would be very helpful weather it is a website, article or journal of some sort.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And who will actually do that research? Sorry Joe but that sounds like a joke...
That part's not out of kilter -- it's a "research paper" in the "English class" sense of the word -- basically a literature search as opposed to "real" research (as technologists generally think of the term).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That part's not out of kilter -- it's a "research paper" in the "English class" sense of the word -- basically a literature search as opposed to "real" research (as technologists generally think of the term).
Oh, I think I misread what you meant, atferrari. I thought you were talking about "research" without doing any experiments or projects. But now I think you meant who's going to do the literature search. In which case it's a very valid point.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Oh, I think I misread what you meant, atferrari. I thought you were talking about "research" without doing any experiments or projects. But now I think you meant who's going to do the literature search. In which case it's a very valid point.
Yes William, that was my point. Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I second @WBahn 's original suggestion. I'll go one further. If you pick something you know very little about, you might surprise yourself at how interesting it becomes. That is the joy of discovering something for the very first time.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Maybe you can do a paper on people who ask about what topic to use for writing a paper in web forums like this one. Alternately, do a paper on people who do papers on people who ask about what topic to use for writing a paper in web forums like this one. :) :)

Seriously though, there are so many topics out there i have a hard time NOT thinking of at least one or more. Life is so complicated that there are so many things going on in politics and technology for example. There has got to be at least one that interests you, and i mention that because that's the best thing to write about: what interests you the most. If you have several interests, roll the dice, pick one by pure chance.

Here's one:
Do a paper on how long you think it would take a monkey typing on a typewriter to type out the complete novel "Anna Karenina" complete with proper punctuation. According to theory it can be done given an infinite amount of time, but can it be completed sooner than that?
:)

That's not entirely a joke, but it is funny. A more serious topic would be say Photon Propulsion.
Another more electrical/electronic example would be something we all know and love, "Resonance", say in RLC circuits, op amp circuits, etc. There's more to it than just 1/sqrt(L*C), but i'll leave that to you.
Good luck with whatever you choose.