Research paper on DC to AC power electronics converters. Ideas and guidance needed.

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
Hey everyone!
I am doing Masters in Power Electronics and about to start my research work. I am interested in DC to AC power converters. I need guidance from people who have undertaken research in the field. My goal is to write a conference-level research paper in the field. I will be very grateful for you guidance and help.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
DC to AC converters are called, "inverters". That word doesn't describe (to me) what's happening, but that's the common use of the word.
The basic method is to synthesize a wave of the correct frequency and use it to drive a center tapped transformer powered by the DC available.
You can also do a PWM controlled pair of transistors to directly create a sine wave.
This description is horribly crude compared to a Masters level research paper, but you didn't provide any clue about much you have already accomplished, and we've seen some very basic questions come from a BSEE newgrad. For instance, "How do you determine which legs of a transistor are the base, emitter, and collector?" If you want specific/better answers, you have to ask specific/better questions.

Or were you just announcing your presence?

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
No I am not announcing my presence. I do know that they are referred to as inverters too but that word doesn't make any sense to me and I think it's a 'layman' term. Anyway, I am looking for someone who can help in writing a research paper on that topic. What I need is guidance about what are the latest research trends in the field. I don't have any specific questions though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What I need is guidance about what are the latest research trends in the field.
That looks specific to me.
I don't have the answers, but now the local denizens have something to work with.
This being a site which involves the whole planet, other people will come on board as the earth rotates.;)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Ah, the old days when a Masters thesis began with a library search and subsequent proposal based thereon. Today, we have Google (and others), but you need to sort through the chafe.

John

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

Apparently there has been some recent emphasis on small size.
Smallest i have read about has power density about 143 watts per cubic inch.
Back when i worked in the industry we were around 500 watts per cubic foot, but that was for AC outputs too. Not sure if that 143 spec is for DC out or AC out.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Having never attended college, i may be wrong, but isn't the idea of a thesis to do it yourself? To prove what you have learned. Not get people on the internet to do your research?

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
Thank you everyone. Your input will go a long way in helping me find a direction.
@shortbus I totally agree with you. I am not getting people to do the research for me. I just need guidance about what I should work on. Coz only experts in the field know what's been done so far and what needs to be done. Hope people will keep sharing their ideas. Thanks again.