Required parts to build a stereo amplifier?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Here's http://connexelectronic.com/index.php/ another spot to browse for audio.

==

One idea, I had was to say:
1. Find a small kit - thru hole
2. Try to reverse engineer it
3. Try to duplicate the PCB - have the PCB made (Eagle is a suggestion)
4. order the parts and assemble.
5. Convert the layout to surface mount
6. Do the same.

You can spend some time in simulation with the free LTSPICE program and then try to build your circuit.
Various kits are available online as PDFs - some exclude the component values to encourage people to buy the kit, some have the values so you can build it without buying.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ditto. "In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king". We nerds appear godlike to the blind.

I accept that there is specialized knowledge and not everyone will know "everything". The sad thing is, there are so very many people that don't seem to have any specialized knowledge about anything.

That seems true on the surface but once you spend the time with people who don't know "anything", you will soon learn they are really experts at some things. It is very likely they know everything about all things Kardashian, snap chat and, possibly, twitter.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

I am interested in learning electronics and love audio systems. My goal is to take a project-based approach to learning electronics. Hopefully, backing into electronics from a high level to a low level by studying the components will prove effective. If I'm setting myself up for failure, please let me know (I appreciate constructive criticism). I'm decent at soldering, but my skills with high density, tiny components is limited.

I did some research regarding the required components for a stereo, but I'm not certain if I have everything. Online vendors assume a certain degree of knowledge (which I don't have) about the other components such as power supplies and transformers. I have inquired with various vendors and either did not getting a response or they don't know what's required to build a complete system (which seems strange). I'm hoping I can get feedback on my parts list and anything I may be missing.

My ideal stereo system (e.g. a boombox) would include multiple inputs such as a CD Player, Bluetooth for streaming and USB interface for mpeg files. Below is a components list that seems to be favored by many on the internet given the sound quality and low cost.

Other than speakers, does it look like I have everything to build a basic stereo with an external input (e.g. CD player)?

-- Qty 1: Non-Inverting LM3886 kit (assume a kit that includes all parts - Res., Cap., Amp, etc.)
-- Qty 1: Power supply kit (again, assume a kit that includes all parts - Res., Cap., diodes, etc.)
-- Qty 1: AC inlet IEC Socket
-- Qty 1: Alps RK27 100KAX2 Potentiometer and PCB for Volume Control
-- Qty 1: Grayhill Selector Switch + PCB
-- Qty 2: Speaker Binding Post Pair
-- Qty 2: RCA Jacks - Chassis Mount
-- Qty 2: Terminal Blocks to connect power supply (may be included in PS kit above)​

I believe I need a power transformer, correct?

Can this system be run off of batteries (for a portable system)? If so, any suggestions on what I need (e.g. rechargeable battery types, etc.)?

I'm assuming that I will need crossovers for my speakers, correct? Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

This book teaches electronics exactly as you want to learn - by building a pair of amplifiers.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ele...sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP148&k_clickid=3x148