Request for Account Deactivation and Deletion

laco22

Joined Oct 31, 2017
Dear "ALL ABOUT CIRCUITS" Support Team,

I am writing to request the deactivation and permanent deletion of my account on this platform. My username is "laco22".

I have thoroughly enjoyed using your services, but I no longer wish to maintain an account on your site.

I understand that this process may take some time, and I appreciate your assistance in fulfilling my request. If there are any additional steps or information required from my side, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter, and I look forward to receiving your confirmation.

Best regards,

laco22

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Like most things on the internet, AAC accounts appear to be persistent. The current policy, as I understand it, is to let accounts become inactive but preserved for posterity.

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
Someone more knowledgeable than I could probably advise if that’s against UK and other national privacy laws. I believe it’s possible to delete one’s posts, even if they are part of an ongoing discussion which could make other posts meaningless. I don’t know if you can delete a message if you are the thread starter, but I think you can edit it down to a single symbol. Frankly, it’s a shame that someone would have to resort to this, although I do understand the reason for not allowing an account to be deleted as this would affect other people who have contributed to a thread impacted by deleting an account. In essence, allowing it to simply become dormant should suffice. If someone has been caught using this site to get help with homework - sorry, you should have thought of that

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE:

As a rule, accounts are not deleted and anything posted remains. While case-by-case exceptions are considered, forums are, by their nature, archival and deleting posts tends to significantly disrupt the context of the threads they are in. Even most content that is technically in violation of posting policies is left intact for this reason and other recourses are used to prevent future violations, such as warnings or bans. Content is generally only deleted when it violates the posting guidelines to the point that it is determined by the moderating staff that it must be removed and that the resulting disruption to thread context is either minimal, or at least preferable to the negative impact of letting it remain.

If a person attempts to circumvent this by deleting the contents of their posts, the usual result is that the content is restored and the member is banned. This has happened several times when students have sought unauthorized assistance with school assignments and then attempted to remove the evidence after being called out. This does not apply to situations in which a member edits or deletes an occasional post for innocuous reasons, such as misunderstanding a thread and posting something that is later understood to be off topic or accidentally posting to the wrong thread.

When anyone joins the forum, they agree to this. Part of the Terms of Rules include, "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."

People that do not wish to participate in the forums any more can simply stop participating. They may wish to go into their profile and turn off any notifications so that they are not bothered by future communications. They can also ask to have their account permanently banned and we will honor such requests without question. But the content will still remain.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Can they not have their user name removed from posts ?
Some names are very descriptive of who the person is,
I know its best to not use your name, some forums have you entre a users name when they register , and a separate display name .
e.g. a student 20 years later might not want their name to be in public view as a Sr manager some where.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Can they not have their user name removed from posts ?
Some names are very descriptive of who the person is,
I know its best to not use your name, some forums have you entre a users name when they register , and a separate display name .
e.g. a student 20 years later might not want their name to be in public view as a Sr manager some where.
An admin can change a user name and that has happened a very few times. Unfortunately, it still causes all kinds of problems because people have referred to the person by their old username in older posts and now a reader that runs across those posts later as the result of a search is confused because the can't tell whose is being referred to. In this day and age, people need to be aware that whatever they post in a public forum is out there forever.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
An acquaintance once gave me the following sage advice:

imagine that you are in a large sports stadium, and you make an insulting comment about the home team, known for its hooliganism, to someone sitting next to you.
In a minute or so, over the PA comes the following message: “John Smith who is sitting on row K, seat 187 said that all the fans of OUR TEAM are bleeeep!” And a photo of you is shown in the giant screen.
Now, multiply that 100 times. This is how much damage a misplaced comment on the Internet could cause.

Last edited: