Replacing a simple eprom/eeprom with an SD card

rhino_bill

Joined Nov 21, 2017
(Moderator's note: This post is from an old thread: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/replacing-a-simple-eprom-eeprom-with-an-sd-card.96569/)

Well since I have this up I have another question. I have an Atari 2600 that I would like to make a flash cart for. I would like to use an SD card to store the games, then have a selector that let's you select the game, which would then load into a battery backed up parallel ram chip acting as an eeprom. (I want to use ram so I can have unlimited rewrites). And finally the ram chip would load the game into the Atari on boot. Of course the Atari was designed for parallel eprom/eeprom cartridges. I should just be able to use a shift register to convert the serial data from an SD breakout board to the parallel ram chip right?
Hi, I was just wondering how you got on with this project? I am intending on doing something very similar, but for my Sega Master System, so any information/advice would be very welcome! A product already exists that would do the same for me: the 'Master Everdrive' - but where's the fun in that!

Last edited by a moderator: